Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sept 17 Lite Challenge: St Endelienta

Wip Aug/Sept 17 Lite Challenge: St Endelienta

Here's the little village I've been working on for the current lite challenge. I've been using some of Mouse's excellent textures that are available on this site, mainly for the roofs and the grass. Initially I was going to have a big castle but having a monastery or abbey seemed to fit the shape of the walled area better.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test4.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	98935

That's a great start

One thing I have noticed when I've used 'Just add Bison' (the grass texture) myself, is that it is just a shade on the dark side. You might get slightly better results if you lighten it just a bit. That's what I did with it when I used it on the Hanging Gardens of Magrael. Lighter grass gives you more room to manoeuvre with the tone of all the other things, like the trees and the rooftops - allowing a little more contrast over the whole of the map between shade and light. I've also lightened it considerably where it appears in the main map of my current Challenge entry, and in fact I don't think I've ever used it the exact same colour that I rendered it out.

However, if the darker look is what you wanted, then please ignore that advice

Looking forward to seeing how you progress this one

Nice little village! Thanks for entering the Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's a great start

One thing I have noticed when I've used 'Just add Bison' (the grass texture) myself, is that it is just a shade on the dark side. You might get slightly better results if you lighten it just a bit. That's what I did with it when I used it on the Hanging Gardens of Magrael. Lighter grass gives you more room to manoeuvre with the tone of all the other things, like the trees and the rooftops - allowing a little more contrast over the whole of the map between shade and light. I've also lightened it considerably where it appears in the main map of my current Challenge entry, and in fact I don't think I've ever used it the exact same colour that I rendered it out.

However, if the darker look is what you wanted, then please ignore that advice

Looking forward to seeing how you progress this one
    That's for the suggestion, I'm going to have a play with lightening next time I'm working on this map.

As per Mouse's suggestion I've lightened up the background grass later a little. I also added some plough lines to the fields, some head stones for a graveyard and a border to the map.

Mainly I've been messing around with the roads but I can't get a finish on them that I'm satisfied with, they lack texture compared to the rest of the map. I made the smaller roads less uniform in shape with a bit of distortion and added a bump map for some texture but the bump map isn't showing up very well on this scale and the colour of the roads in general still looks a bit flat.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test5.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	6.30 MB 
ID:	98993

Nice little village you have here! I am curious, what are you using to create it? I'm assuming it's a program, since you mentioned using Mouse's textures.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Nice little village you have here! I am curious, what are you using to create it? I'm assuming it's a program, since you mentioned using Mouse's textures.
    Thanks, I've just been using GIMP.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Great fields. Any chance there will be crops growing in them? I think you could probably get away with less subtlety on the river highlights, or even add a bold and frothy set of rapids. That spot on the bend in the river, by the trees there. That looks like a place I'd like to sit down with a sketchpad for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Great fields. Any chance there will be crops growing in them? I think you could probably get away with less subtlety on the river highlights, or even add a bold and frothy set of rapids. That spot on the bend in the river, by the trees there. That looks like a place I'd like to sit down with a sketchpad for awhile
    The fields were supposed to look like they have crops growing in them by the different colours they are compared to the grass but maybe they need something more? I agree on the river, I'm going to have a think on ways to sex it up a bit as it still looks a bit monotone at the moment.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with using gimp . I use cc3+, myself. I have gimp, even have it installed...have no clue how to use it!

This map is coming along nicely
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast