Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept / Oct 17 Lite Challenge: Caves of Chaos Section 9

Default Sept / Oct 17 Lite Challenge: Caves of Chaos Section 9

Hi, started out with experimentation on a new workflow to get that illustrated look with detailed shadows and nice lighting. I attached the result and will elaborate on that. New things eat time like nothing...

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workflow.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	99580

Woah... That's really cool!
    Let me get this straight. So, you modeled a 3D map in blender, or something.
    Then you texterized it, maybe did some lighting tricks, and exported it to 2D.
    Lastly some photoshop, probably. That's my guess.

Actually, I have no idea of the process... I'll just eagerly await your elaboration post

Neato. I think you may want to elaborate on the scene lighting a little as it seems sort of a little too even to me. Then again it's a map so people do want to see things clearly. Very cool.

Are you going to put objects in the rooms?

Blog Entries

I think the idea is cool but you would have to roughen up the walls a bit because otherwise it would look too archetectural. The lighting looks good to me but the area which is deepest is very dark and the one highest is lightest. I suspect you have lit it from above and used shadows but in reality the lights would be placed in the rooms themselves. Maybe thats what you did and that room is supposed to be darker in which case just ignore that crit. The idea of using a 3D model tho is usually good for lighting but more effort generally. I often use 3D for the base map and add stuff on top in 2D but my entry for this challenge is not 3D for the base. I think you can get better lighting with it tho.

Off to a good start. Interesting concept. Welcome to the challenge.

@Falconius I will populate the rooms with furniture and things like that. No elaborate moddeling, just something that stands up to top down 2D
    @Redrobes Yes, the lighting can and will be improved. I just threw 10 lights at the thing to test out the needed render passes ( Lineart and greyscale )
    @noltron You got it right Blender->Zbrush->Keyshot for Zbrush->Photoshop. That´s kind of overkill for a "quick" 2D Battlemap. But I love tinkering and playing around in 3D and making maps, so... Doing it again I would skip the Blender part. I started out there because I´m familiar with it. Using the "new" Zmodeller in Zbrush would have been sufficient. As always room for quicker approaches. I did a Battlemap recently focused on Blender but the style I aimed for was very different.

Hmmmm.... this looks like an intriguing idea... I'm curious to see where you take it
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Blog Entries

Gosh - How did I miss that battlemap of yours. If you submit something like that then we might as well hand you the award now and start up an extra lite lite challenge for the rest of us...

Even got depth of field blurring for that tilt shift look about it. Shudder...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-03-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Guild Artisan

You flipped it upside down right? We are the same section and looks backwards to me, and I currently see mine in my sleep. I really like the elevation drop with the stairs. Nailed that. Good colors as well.

Hi all, close call. As posted above this takes time. I took some roadbumps again and time was running out. But not finishing was not an option so I pulled a late nighter to get this far. Learned a lot during this challenge ( Dynamic shattering and placement of many different stones in Houdini apprentice edition, Zbrush <-> Houdini GOZ (brilliant), setting up render passes, handling high poly meshes ( no maps involved, pure geometry ) and many other things. So this was a good challenge for me, but no time for the handcoloring. Maybe after the fact...

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caves.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	926.4 KB 
ID:	100109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast