Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for the Zjed'Uhn Diamond

Wip Quest for the Zjed'Uhn Diamond

This challenge really caught my interest. I had a couple of ideas immediately, and while I have chosen not to use some of them (because someone else came up with the same idea) Most of my ideas are still intact.

The words that I have chosen to use so far (more words may follow as this map unfolds): Cave, Hidden, Gem(diamond), Temple, Gold(en), Port

I've really only just started, we shall have to see how it goes.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quest for the Zjed'Uhn Chi Diamond.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	100144

I may end up doing a write up once I've finished this map, but I'm hoping that the map will speak for itself...
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great start and them be neat mountains
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

lol... meaning they look good? Or that the edges are too neat and clean? I'm actually not sure about the one on the far right... I may go back in and change it. And my 'golden forest' isnt' looking too golden right now... meh
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I don't think you need to worry about using the same word combinations as other people, Storm. We're all working with the same word set, after all

That's a great start

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    lol... meaning they look good? Or that the edges are too neat and clean? I'm actually not sure about the one on the far right... I may go back in and change it. And my 'golden forest' isnt' looking too golden right now... meh
    I meant it in a good way - however, the eastern most mountains are rather angular on the middle ones, I would think it would seem more natural if they were at a sharper angle like they came from the same southern point (underground).. then again, the nature often surprises us with how things look
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Okay, one of the things I'm specifically working on for this map, is river style and placement. More to the point, showing 'reasonable river flow' based on terrain, and low basin areas to explain lake placement. That's on top of fulfilling the challenge parameters!

So, to that end, here is my updated map:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Quest for the Zjed'Uhn Chi Diamond2.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	100189

Oh, and Tilt - normally I would agree with you. But one of the cool things about cc3+ is random placement. The mountains in this particular style, come in different sizes, and then each size category has several different symbols. When you go to make a mountain range, the program randomly selects the mountains you use. It can be difficult to go back in and change the symbols afterwards, because of the way they are made. What happens is you will have the bottom of a mountain 'cutting off' the top of a mountain that is placed 'below' it. Now there are a few ways to tuck those mountains back into place... but it doesn't always work, and I tend to miss a few, so I have learned that unless I absolutely have to, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'! lol
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Still working, I've added a bit more as far as terrain is concerned, but i'm also starting to add civilization...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Quest for the Zjed'Uhn Chi Diamond3.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	100199
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I approve of this title. And the map - looking cool so far!

lol... I thought you might get a kick out of it, Diamond! Of course, I thought of it after the fact.... This is actually a bare concept for a fantasy series I thought about writing a fair number of years ago... back when I was in college. This was actually supposed to be the second book in the series. My DhaeHir Ny'Fel series, DaeHir being the Goddess of light. The first book was The Silver Crest, book 2 was Quest of the Zjed'Un Diamond, book three was Into the Wylderrun, book 4 The depths of Urdernacht, and book 5 was Return of the Goddess.

I had outlines, plot lines and characters developed and most of book 1 was written... I only had 4 more chapters to complete it. A fire in the dorm destroyed it all... my book, my notes, my backups... everything. I was so dishearted by losing it all, I admit it... I gave up on it. I had not even thought of the series in decades... but this challenge brought it back. Who knows? Maybe this map will give me incentive to dig deep into my memory and try to restart the series.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Blog Entries

Getting even better although I have the urge to zoom in on those cities

Damn about that fire... but you have an even better story in your head I'm sure .. I remember Brandon Sanderson once saying that he wrote his first 6 books fast as he hard heard that the first 6 books you write are crap .... so, chalk that one down as learning and write the good one .. NaNoWriMo material perhaps?
    regs tilt

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast