Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Map an Island - Pick a Shape

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post

Regarding size:
    The 150 mile scale was intended to be a guideline so everyone would know what they were working with, but my primary goal is to see what kind of an island you would build out of these shapes. If you prefer to work at a very different scale, it is OK with me, the voters are the ones who decide what they like anyway!
    YAY, thanks Bogie - makes it easier to do my vision... so just enough room to fit in a deck chair LOL
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Artisan

This is going to be a awesome challenge. After seeing some of these maps, its going to be great seeing what everyone does with the same islands(particular the island I chose, lol). Rivers, mountains, etc. Who puts the valleys here and why, then throw in the different styles. Going to be fun.

On second thought, My 1st, 2nd , 3rd, ...10th attempt on mountains came out too realistic for my watercolor approach. This is not going to be fun.
    But I have an image in my head, I will get it to paper, then to Gimp, then through a filter, then another, then a bump map, followed by a blur, then overlay, then back to normal, and with luck it will look just like my 1st attempt at the mountains, that I decided not to go with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    This is going to be a awesome challenge. After seeing some of these maps, its going to be great seeing what everyone does with the same islands(particular the island I chose, lol). Rivers, mountains, etc. Who puts the valleys here and why, then throw in the different styles. Going to be fun.

On second thought, My 1st, 2nd , 3rd, ...10th attempt on mountains came out too realistic for my watercolor approach. This is not going to be fun.
    But I have an image in my head, I will get it to paper, then to Gimp, then through a filter, then another, then a bump map, followed by a blur, then overlay, then back to normal, and with luck it will look just like my 1st attempt at the mountains, that I decided not to go with.
    Yep.. that sounds about right LOL
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Yep.. that sounds about right LOL
    Sounds way too complicated for me. I barely even know what a bump map is, let alone how to use one.

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I barely even know what a bump map is, let alone how to use one.
    I'm told that it's a thing for people of limited vision.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I'm told that it's a thing for people of limited vision.
    ROFL .... funny
    regs tilt

I think I'll give this a shot. I'm new on this forum (although relatively active on the ProFantasy one) and it will be my first challenge of any sort, but I have a good start on something.

Scott! Welcome to the Guild! It's good to see another cc3+ user in the mix! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I've seen some of your maps at the PF forums, so I think you will do just fine
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Welcome to the Forums and the Challenge Scott.

O, great Bogie ! Are we allowed to change a little bit the shape ? I'll explain myself. Going digital will be hard for me. I spend too much time drawing digitally already and I work faster with pen and paper. I'd like to use the shape, print it at a very low opacity and take out my fine liners to draw the whole map in a few hours as an Inktober entry. That'll help me deliver a finished map this time Thanks in advance for your answer.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast