Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Coasts of Acur - Kane SubContinent

Default The Coasts of Acur - Kane SubContinent

This project is taking quite a while...

This is the 4th of a series of maps, although I'm not really sure how many, if any more, will get done.
    The previous three have been posted in the forum... here, here and here. The idea is just to follow the style and go around the continent.

Can't really say much more.

Fully done in PS, except that the original map (found in several many! versions in this thread) was reprojected using G.Projector.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acur_Kane_Coast_2017_v3.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	99813

Kane's northern limits is a wide unforgiving mountain range, with desert to its north. However, the climate in this map ranges from savannah type in foothills of those mountains and southwards all the way to lush tropical rainforest in its southern tip. The bulk of the population, therefore, lives in the kind-of-monsoon fed river valleys and I wonder if the map shows that... There should be a radial pattern centered in Kane City, as it is a real Megalopolis of modern times, as it has been for centuries now (in-the-conworld-history, that is).

Another detail worth mentioning is an attempt to balance a common present language in the naming conventions whilst including ancestral differences in regional place names and typical sounds. I'm not really sure how that went...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice map !

The relief is very well rendered !

If I had to make a comment, that would be about the colors of the sea : maybe a third color would be welcome, as the light blue part seems a bit too wide for me ?
    You could put a third blue, between your light and dark blue, to make the light part smaller ?
    It's just my opinion, the map looks great the way it is !

It's very pleasant to see your world growing map by map, Pixie. Very nice one .

I love how detailed this map is! The only issue I have with is on full resolution some of the terrain is a little pixelated

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    If I had to make a comment, that would be about the colors of the sea : maybe a third color would be welcome, as the light blue part seems a bit too wide for me ?
    You could put a third blue, between your light and dark blue, to make the light part smaller ?
    Darn, there should be a third color. The other maps in this series have a third color. I noticed the lack of the third color a few days ago... then I forgot in the urge to finish the map.. oh well, this finished map is getting an extra version soon.
    Thanks for pointing it out, Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    The only issue I have with is on full resolution some of the terrain is a little pixelated
    Yeah, that's a problem I can't solve. It has to do with blowing up the original map of just 4000x2000 px.
    I have grown into it, though, as if this was an 80's map with limited graphics tech available.

Thank you for the comments.

This is another great piece Pixie. I really love this atlas style of yours. It has a proper punch about it. Another remarkable thing is your prolific place name production! I sit staring for ages trying to think up new place names. How do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I sit staring for ages trying to think up new place names. How do you do it?
    I do it walking

Really, it has been a thing of mine since the first worldbuilding effort in my early teens. Everytime I have a "place" to map out, the task of making up names sticks on the back of my mind and I play with words/sounds all the time. A reasonable chunk of the names in eastern Kane have started as babble language from my 1-year-old son.

It also helps to enjoy learning languages and traveling, obviously. And having a smartphone to write up any good idea immediately as it pops is the ultimate tool!
    I've got unused lists in my phone already, ready for the next maps... (whenever that happens..)

Also, I have an improved version.
    (This is not a WIP thread and I promise this is the actual finished map - I just added/changed colorings in the ocean, as -JO- suggested)

Name:	Acur_Kane_Coast_2017_v4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	100001

and a version without topographic and slight "browner" coloring, for fun..

Name:	Acur_Kane_Coast_2017_flat_v3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	100002
    Last edited by Pixie; 10-10-2017 at 06:25 AM.

I don't have a 1 year old which is just as well because if any of my characters found out the place they lived was named because of a toddler's babble I'd be in serious trouble

Very nice work on this. I like the version without the topography too. It's a very readable and attractive map. Great to see new work from you.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Pixie are you considering making your Atlas into an e-book?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast