Thread: The City of Arkney

Default The City of Arkney

This is the map for Arkney, the capital city of my homebrew game. The city itself is supposed to be HUGE - think the size of New Orleans or San Diego. The west bank is home to the docks where most of the city's goods come in, the market district, and most of the citizenry. On the east bank are the richer wards, housing the clergy and temples, scholars, and nobility. Basically, the further north-east, the richer people are. At the northern most point of he east bank is the castle, where most of the practical ruling is done. On the central island is the ruling family's private palace. The southern isle hosts the city prison, where the very worst offenders are kept; on the 'tail' of the isle, executed criminals are displayed as a warning to those entering the city.

I haven't labeled anything yet as I'm not overly happy with the way the buildings turned out.

Edit: made following pyrandon's city map tutorial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arkney map.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	100768  
    Last edited by persona-non-sequitur; 11-03-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Nice work on this. The terrain and river look great. I've never tried Pyrandon's tutorial so I'm not certain how you could improve the buildings. It's a very attractive map, though. Have some rep.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Very beautiful even in the thumbnail.
    Somehow I miss a black outline on the building blocks. Not sure, whether this would improve the looks of it, but I'd say you could try to frame the buildings.
    The colors are very fitting and beautiful as is the shape of the city itself. Especially the peninsula on the right bank with the bridges is great.

However, I'm totally unsure about the scale. You say New Orleans or San Diego. Wiki says San Diego is about thrice the size of New Orleans. No matter which I bear in mind for comparison, just from looking at the map I'd guess the city at roundabout 15 000 citizens. First problem is that there's no scale to inform me how big the house blocks are. Second problem is that the streets and public places would be huuuuge if the scale would fit for an 300k-people-city. And by huge I mean places like almost 1km in diameter.
    So I feel that the scale of the map and the assumed size of the city don't really fit.

A nice execution of Pyrandon's tutorial. Great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice city ! Special congratulations for the terrain ! Very well done !