Thread: OldRed's Mapvember

Default OldRed's Mapvember

Hey guys, I decided to take up the Mapvember challenge and delve into the world of mapmaking.

All maps will be hand drawn with pencil. I will reward myself with a set of fineliners for completing the challenge.

This is my first map (ever) so feel free to critque it. Blast it completely out of the water, if you will.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I think this map looks good. At this point, the main suggestion I'd make is: would it perhaps be possible to scan your map rather than taking a picture? It's a bit hard to see the details.

That's a good idea setting a prize for yourself at the end, and that's a great choice of prize you've put up there.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

First map? That's very nice. I like the look of the mountains very much. I hope you'll do the entire challenge. It would be nice to see the difference after thirty days of map making (:

Thanks, Daniel and Wingshaw. I'll try and scan the maps.

I agree. First-time map?! Looks great. Personally, my only quibble is the gorgeous mountains you made look like more as a fence than a landform. Perhaps make certain areas a little 'thicker' with mountains.
    Just my 2 cents, which in Canada now gets rounded down, so ...

Ok, I will try that tonight.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Pheeeooo, good job for a first try! I really like the mountains.

Mountains in ranges that seem reasonable. Rivers are flowing properly and have a nice amount of wiggle. The big lake with no inflowing rivers big enough to show on the map is unlikely, but one unlikely feature is fine. Good coast. Yes, it looks nice (allowing for the low quality from being a photo not a scan).

I will point out that the Westwood is in the East and the Eastwood is in the West. This can, of course, be explained by their being named after persons rather than their locations.

If you walk into the Eastwood travelling west, do you walk out and find yourself at the edge of the map or heading into the middle of Nowhereton?
    That's a great first map!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram