Thread: Some practice maps...

Map Some practice maps...

Hi Folks,

Here are some maps I did for practice. The first "hex" map I did was just to try out a couple of things & John S. Ross' (AKA Cumberland Games & Diversions), Hexpaper Pro Font which is simply brilliant and worth buying, I heartily recommend it!

The second & third maps are more or less the same map done in different styles. I really need to practice my hand-drawn stuff, I'm not very happy with it. The hex version is what I'll be doing for commissions if there is no explicit requests as it's far easier to do using custom brushes.

The last map is a copy of a map from the AD&D Forgotten Realms Module, The Dungeon of Death. I wanted to practice my "technique/workflow" for commissioned pieces in my dungeon style.

As always, thoughts, suggestions, critiques are welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 3 Hex Map.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	621.8 KB 
ID:	102343

Name:	Regional WIP.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	102344

Name:	Regional WIP Mk4.1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	379.6 KB 
ID:	102345

Name:	Dungeon of Death Practice.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	929.8 KB 
ID:	102346
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Here is another practice hex map. I'm trying to find something that works for me; workflow, palette etc. Had a look at Hexographer by Inkwell Studios and it looks pretty cool but to use commercially, particularly if you use the pro version with add-on art packs, it's a bit of a hassle having to credit Inkwell + the artist. I'd much rather do my own then there is no issue with licenses and so on.

I'm wondering if it might be better to do the hex maps in Illustrator with each terrain type a Hex symbol...i.e. create a hex grid and stamp the symbols using the smart guides. I'll try that at some point over the holidays. Thorfinn Tait does excellent Hex maps, really top notch; that's the style I'm trying to emulate.

Name:	Hex Practice 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	664.6 KB 
ID:	102465
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps