Thread: WIP Island of Eldaesh

Wip WIP Island of Eldaesh

Hello all,

So, when looking through all of the various fantastic maps on here, I was struck by the fact that the vast majority consist of just a single map, with no, or very few enlargements or separate panels giving more info etc...

What I am looking at producing (long term...) is a map consisting of 8 panels, a single large overview map of the whole island group in the centre, three panels on the left (a title panel and two enlargements of villages), and on the right a further four panels with a town enlargement, two smaller island enlargements, and the key/legend.

Attached is an overview of the whole sheet, and the coastal outline of the main island (central large panel).

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

TonquaniClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel 4.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	3.79 MB 
ID:	101294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Map.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	101295

So this is a better idea of one of the small panels on the right, a small outling island - still lots of detail to add (paths, villages, small harbour, lookout post, text etc), and lots more work on the texture...

TonquaniClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel 6.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	101313

Wip

Latest version...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel 6.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	101403

Blog Entries

Hello Tonquani,

Its a shame you just missed our monthly challenge which was to make an island. If you go to the community pages on the main topic list you will see that we have a main challenge and a lite challenge each month.

Also, I would strongly recommend that you have a look at our community world building projects. These used to be known as the CWBP. We also had CWBP2, GuildWorld, GuildCity and now were thrashing out Guild Dungeon.

Now that your a full member, you should be able to look at the zoomy maps. Take a look at the guild world full zoom map for instance. This is where we all map bits of a world, put it all back together on one big maps and then make a "slippy" or "zoomy" map from it. That links to Guild City which has another like that.

So I think thats maybe more the reason why a lot of the maps on here are single stand alone maps. Often thats the way it is, but sometimes these maps get collated into the giant version which you havent been to yet.

One of the lite challenge islands had the island in the centre and then all the city maps for it around the edge - a lot like what your proposing.

Hope that helps.

Hi Redrobes,

Thanks for the feedback, that makes perfect sense about the whole group participating in Worldbuilding.

I think I've just really been playing around with techniques and different map types so far (Only picked up GIMP a couple of weeks ago).

I hadn't really had a look through any of the challenges up to now either, but will probably try a few of these on a smallish scale first...

Cheers

T