Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: November 2017 Mapping Challenge: VeterHaven Fortress

Wip November 2017 Mapping Challenge: VeterHaven Fortress

I finally got my re-install back up and running to my satisfaction, and since there are still two weeks to complete this challenge... of course, I decide to dive right in... almost litterally!

my choice was to map something of a Dark Ages style fortress, ready to fend off any manner of undead beastie that may find it's way to VeterHaven (or any other manner of beastie as well). Veterhaven fortress is uniquely fortified against the undead, for reasons that will be apparent later on... Suffice it to say that it will be difficult for most undead to find it's way to the citizens of VeterHaven!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fort Veterhaven.02.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	919.6 KB 
ID:	101337

As you can see, I've only barely begun... but not bad for a couple hours work! I'm not too sure I'm pleased with the island on the inside, I'm having serious second thoughts about that texture. I will probably go with something different, but this one is basically just to get the feel for the space.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hehe, definitely not bad for a couple of hours work! Good start.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I'm not too sure I'm pleased with the island on the inside, I'm having serious second thoughts about that texture. I will probably go with something different, but this one is basically just to get the feel for the space.
    I agree, at least at the current scaling. Unless VeterHaven consists of only a single farm, the stones in the texture look way too big to me. However, the outer texture also troubles me a bit at its current scaling. It strikes me as being blurry.

Nix für Ungut!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

You're right, Mark, I have to scale it all back. Right now, it's mostly placement. I will be fiddling with things until it's the way I like it. I was just pushing to get something started.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

You're right, Mark, I have to scale it all back. Right now, it's mostly placement. I will be fiddling with things until it's the way I like it. I was just pushing to get something started.
    OK. Naturally, I'll keep being the monkey on your back!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Well, I'm still working on my scaling, but I've done a bit more as far as my fortress is concerned. I've started the initial fort part of this map I've also added a cliff face cave for evacuation if necessary. I have another little trick up my sleeve, so it's not as impossible as it sounds.

I have my basic shape with the floors and some of the walls with the towers and catwalks for the outside of the fort. These are my defensive areas, to allow the citizens of VeterHaven protect themselves from afar against whatever undead may come to call. I do, of course, have other defenses planned... this is just the initial work, to see if I can get it right.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Fort Veterhaven.03.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	101364

as always, feedback is welcome!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

This isn't such a big move forward, I'm still working on the walls of the outter fort.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Fort Veterhaven.03lg.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	759.8 KB 
ID:	101434

I already know there are some odd bits I have to fix. This is just what I have working right now.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I already know there are some odd bits I have to fix. This is just what I have working right now.
    Keeping that in mind but also remaining the monkey on your back, some thoughts that you already may be thinking:

1) Your wall lines in some places lie atop the towers. I assume you're doing this in CC3+. A quick solution is to create a new sheet one level higher (on the map - one level lower in the CC3+ sheet table) and move the towers to it, so that they're atop your lines.

2) The rock to the north badly needs a fractal edge.

3) The stone fill on your walls and towers need a scale-down. The cracks are way too big.

4) The grass fill inside the wall has a bit too much redundancy.

As always ... nix für Ungut!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

As always Mark, you get right to the heart of things! To answer your thoughts:

1. I am already planning to trim/break/ combine paths so that they become one fluid, solid edge. Where the corridors connect are going to be open pathways, it's just going to take some time to get it all done.

2. The rock/cliff to the north is going to have rocks, brush and stuff and probably an edge fade to help it blend. Right now I'm just checking placement. I'm assuming your term fractal edge, is what CC3+ calls an edge fade, if not, you will have to explain what you mean by that .

3. I hadn't noticed the crack sizes on the wall texture, thanks for pointing that out. I will take a look at it.

4. Yes, I had noticed the redundancy on the island grass. I was trying to keep it from being blurry, but I already saw that it was too redundant, and I'm planning to fix that.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I've been working diligently to get this fort moving ahead. I've fixed the scaling on the texture fills, and I believe they all look a lot better now. I also got my towers and walkways looking better. I've started working on the village within the fort. Now, obviously it's not complete, but this village is mostly sustaining (or it will be!) After all, if you have to close the fort to prevent a zombie invasion, you have to be able to produce your own food! To that end, I'm planning on creating a small community inside this fort. So here is what I now have:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Fort Veterhaven.04lg.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	749.1 KB 
ID:	101496

and, of course, feedback is always welcome!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast