Thread: November 2017 Challenge: Downtown Zombie

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Default November 2017 Challenge: Downtown Zombie

Any resemblance to the TV show Downton Abby is strictly coincidental! And this will never actually be a game and will never likely be seen beyond this forum so don’t panic and sue me, please.
    Downtown Zombie
    Background: 1916- Out of the toxic ooze of the Somme battlefield swept a virus unlike any that came before it. All fighting came to an abrupt end and the Great War became the Great Death. Nations already on the brink from 3 long years of war now collapsed into chaos as the virus, called the Somme Flu, raged across the globe. Some it killed, a few recovered, but the rest…changed. Not dead, yet not alive, these beings moved in packs and sought only to eat; and they weren’t picky about what or who it was they dined on!

1920- At Downtown Abby, the local toffs have managed to keep the darkness at bay by enlisting almost all the local villagers into a militia they call the Home Guard, and by making use of those who had returned with recent war-fighting experience, to throw the undead packs back. By also vigorously farming and scrounging they have managed to keep themselves and the locals fed and reasonably secure. Downtown Abby itself has been built up into a kind of fort, with boarded up windows (and slits for firing), reinforced doors, and many tons of provisions to withstand a prolonged siege.
    Unfortunately, just as the Home Guard is off clearing an undead pack out of an over-run village on the outskirts of the Downtown Abby estate, another pack, the largest yet seen, has been sighted just down the road….
    “Oh Branson?”
    “yes M’Lord?”
    “Fetch my hunting rifle. Seems like there may be some hot work afoot!”
    “Very good, M’Lord.”

Downtown Zombie: the Game- is similar to the game “Castle Panic” in concept. It’s a co-op game where one to four players attempt to win against the system. Each player will have one card assigned to them (either random or chosen as the players prefer) which will be the character they play. Each character cards has special abilities to help the players defeat the zombies. The zombie horde is made up of 40 tokens, most of which will have a single number representing what side of the game-map it arrives on. Some will have special abilities. These are all placed in a draw-string bag and at the beginning of each turn the player draws out three and places them on the game-board. The player may then do one of a series of actions- move, shoot, melee, scrounge or special ability. Scrounging means the player pulls a single token from a separate bag and may help them, like shotgun, carving knife, or medical supplies.

That’s all I got so far for the rules….

Special thanks to everyone who contributed to the Schwarzkreuz Map-Elements Collection on the Cartographer’s Guild. I used it for all the stuff in the interior. You guys are all amazing!

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downton map2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	101639  

Welcome on board, Tim - literally!

Great looking map already

This sounds like a game my son would love! He is heavily into the Zombie Apocolype. And this map is looking great so far! I do have one question though, and it map help give you direction if you plan on adding to this map. How do the pieces (players) move? I mean, every gameboard has some sort of a grid to show movement possibilities. I see a grid inside your fortress walls, but I don't see any game board grid on the outside. So how do your players, or the system pieces, move about the board?
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Aha! Dead Panic as Downton Abbey! I LIKE it! I assume you are planning to add the ranged arc?

Gamewise, I'd modify Zone 3. Instead of dividing the top, divide the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    This sounds like a game my son would love! He is heavily into the Zombie Apocolype. And this map is looking great so far! I do have one question though, and it map help give you direction if you plan on adding to this map. How do the pieces (players) move? I mean, every gameboard has some sort of a grid to show movement possibilities. I see a grid inside your fortress walls, but I don't see any game board grid on the outside. So how do your players, or the system pieces, move about the board?
    I bet your son would like Dead Panic (the zombie version of Castle Panic).

Based on what it's based on, I'm guessing the movement is simply room to room.