Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Atlas Awards - 2018 Edition

You? Old?

From the bright and fully engaged persona you project online I was convinced you were a lot younger than me! LOL!

Where categorisation is concerned I think perhaps there has to be some kind of generalisation in order to fit all our very diverse maps into just a handful of categories. Too many categories and voting becomes a too much like hard work.

I think the CLs have it about right. Its just that we aren't necessarily all that good at making sure our most brilliant maps will automatically slot neatly into one of the set categories

Feedback's always welcome, Falconius.

The category you're referring to is 'Space, sci-fi and modern maps' so there is quite a bit of wiggle room there, and I think Daniel's map does fit the criteria. Space ships are certainly sci-fi, though I suppose it would also have worked in 'Structure, Dungeon, or Gaming Map' too. It's a fair point to consider scale, and I'll mention your thoughts when the CLs have the Awards 'post-mortem' once things are finished up.

We don't want to turn into the Oscars with about a hundred different categories for every single type of map you could think of. With only eight categories, there's always going to be some crossover, and someone might choose Category A, whereas another would pick Category B. So long as the map generally fits the category, we'll allow it.

Most Creative is deliberately a bit vague, but I think that's its selling point. Some maps are tricky to categorise because they don't completely fit any category. Some fit more than one (for ex, take a look at this old map by Max. It's mostly regional, but not completely). It's entirely up to you how you interpret 'creativity', whether it's the subject of the map, the colouring choices, the medium used, etc etc. Personally, I think it serves as a good 'catch-all' category.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I think categories were a tad better than last year.
    And yes, most creative is vague because everyone has a different view on what creativity might be.
    It could also be considered as the most original/innovative map. that is how I understand it.
    Were the technicalities and general idea behind the map is somewhat more important than the finish.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456