Thread: Web Based Interactive Mapping & Development

Post Web Based Interactive Mapping & Development

I'm fiddling with making interactive fantasy maps using HTML, CSS, SVG and Javascript. Trying to make it functional like google maps. Check out what I have right now. You can zoom in and out, click on the labels to see more detailed information and play with some of the settings. It's very basic at this point and not everything is functional. It also doesn't work as expected on mobile devices.

Is anyone else doing this? Any advice for resources for this kind of development?

You can play around with it here: Interactive Map Test
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Ver cool! though I imagine that working with so many vectors that it can be a nightmare right?

Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    Ver cool! though I imagine that working with so many vectors that it can be a nightmare right?
    Yes, it can be. I create the vectors in Illustrator and then plug them in to the page markup and give them IDs and Classes so that I can manipulate them with Javascript. Seems like there should be an easier way lol
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Extremely cool

I'm not even going to try and understand how you did it, though

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Are you limited to use flat color vector areas or can you use more complex ones?
    What is the node/vertex limit before the browser crashes or it become extremely slow?

It a very interesting idea if it could support more complex shapes (to build textures and similar).

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioFrade View Post
    Are you limited to use flat color vector areas or can you use more complex ones?
    What is the node/vertex limit before the browser crashes or it become extremely slow?
    You can do gradients and blurring effects that I know of. I'm not sure on the limit of vectors before you'd see performance issues. It may be based on the client's hardware specs. It's something I'll have to look into
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Blog Entries

http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/ I've used this in the past on an apache web server I set up on an old computer. There are some tools you'd need to convert your map to a pyramidal .tiff format, let me know if it's something you might use and I'll try to dredge up all the tools i used. Here's a shot of what it looked like in a browser while being served from my personal web server: https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...4&d=1368308256

The great thing about it is, it can serve humongous world maps if you decide to go that route, the other soft i know of is this, http://www.zoomify.com/
    They have a free version, think it has a watermark or something.
    Last edited by Revock; 01-31-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Blog Entries

One of the tools anyone who looks at my answer, *IIpimage zoom* should get and try to become familiar with is Hugin Panorama Stitcher. http://hugin.sourceforge.net/ you'd want this, and basically what I did in my experimentation ages ago was to cut out, say the right side of a map I'd made and paste that into the LEFT side of a map I'd made in either Gimp or the old copy of Photoshop CS2 I have or Photoshop Elements 6. Doing that gives you the common,,,errr, cross picture?(terminology) elements you need for hugin to reference the two maps, and stitch them. The map you make to the right you fade into the new content, preserving the common border, so Hugin can stitch it correctly, same with any other border,,,repeat this for up, down,right,left etc. and stitch the humongous map up from whatever max size your favorite map program can do,,,or your comp. The reason I never posted much on this in the years I've been in the guild is,,even though i proved the process to myself,,I'm a lazy S.O.B. without a PnP group usually, and when I did, they were,,,"that sounds cool, let us know when you do it"

This process, could eventually give you an image, perhaps,, as large as the blue marble image in the IIpimage zoom demo,,,that unfortunately is very old and not updated to modern browser security standards, won't display for me, rest assured it's not a mal site, I believe it just hasn't been worked on in a dog's age, but downloading the stuff will prove that to you.
    Last edited by Revock; 02-02-2018 at 10:51 PM.

I love this idea. I've wondered in the past whether it would be possible to embed links and content in such a map and create a website that IS a map.
    Collaborative Storytelling and Worldbuilding
    Freeform fantasy and sci-fi
    www.LostPathway.com