Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jan/Feb '18 Lite Challenge: Hidden Tomb of the Gryphon Riders

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Making some progress on the dungeon, although clearly there's a bunch more that needs to be done. This is my first time using shading entirely with my tablet in Photoshop. I'm following one of the tutorials over at FantasticMaps.com, which has been really helpful. I appreciate all the feedback here, too! Such as bkh1914 - I tried flipping the insert but it makes the middle of the page look a little full because of the mountain angle. But it was a great idea to try, and would have worked if my mountains weren't a bit crooked.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tomb of the Gryphon Riders Full v3 (sm).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	104368

I like how this is coming along. The overall page balance is great, I think flipping the inset would change that as you seemed to have noticed when you tried it. You wouldn't really have to change the entrance location if you were to add a compass to both the map and the inset clearly showing the different north direction, maybe?

I think your subtle coloring is turning out very well, a muted palette on this page would fit very well.

This looks very good indeed, reminiscent of the TSR Dragon Lance dungeons, but with texture - and I really like the burnt page effect - did you get out the Zippo?
    "Mind is Emergent of Matter"

You know, I loved the Dragonlance series but never used one of those dungeon maps! (I do have a huge map of Krynn, though). I did break out a Bic to char some edges of leftover Amazon packing paper, but then I kept casting shadows on it so I wound up using a texture that I already had saved. But I successfully burned a bit of an unrelated map that I'm using in my D&D game.

Name:	treasure map.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	104392

For the dungeon, I need to play around with the shading. I've been using overlay layers, placed directly under my line work and directly above the texture, but I think it's drawing a bit too much from the texture in terms of coloring. I'll have to see about adding a darker layer so that I can get deeper shadows beneath the floors. I was hoping to add a handful of items to the dungeon (e.g., sarcophagi, gryphon statue) but I'll have to see how I'm doing on time.

I think I'm done with the dungeon itself. The shading is still a learning process. Time to move on to the inset!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tomb of the Gryphon Riders Full v4 (sm).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	104401

Very nice coloring.

Thanks, Bogie! I'm still a noob when it comes to coloring but the tutorial at Fantastic Maps was really useful.

I got moving on the inset map. First I had to make some tree brushes. SO. MANY. TREES.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tomb of the Gryphon Riders Full v5 (sm).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	104433

I have some more stuff that I'd like to add, but I'd be okay if this winds up being the final version. I used elboe's suggestion and included a compass on the inset, as well. That way I didn't have to change the inset map line work. Thanks, elboe!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tomb of the Gryphon Riders Full v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	104453
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 02-11-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Great job with the coloration of the inset and all those trees.

Those trees were something else; I'm glad they look decent! I need to save that whole final layer so I have a ready-made pine forest next time I need one.

I've been playing around with some statues and such for the tomb. What do you guys think? Is it worth bothering to add them? If so I will change the coloring on the gryphons to match the platform with the pool of flame.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tomb of the Gryphon Riders Full v7 (sm).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	104465

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast