Thread: The World of Ixalan: A Magic the Gathering Map by Jared Blando/Theredepic

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map The World of Ixalan: A Magic the Gathering Map by Jared Blando/Theredepic

Hey All,

Did this one for Wizards of the Coast's Magic the Gathering release of Ixalan. This was pretty interesting considering I've never done a map for Magic itself, though for this set they wanted to make the amorphous world into something more solid. You can see this piece in their new book "Art of Magic the Gathering" that just came out. Funny thing, they spelled my name wrong on the credit line Of course!

Tried a bit of a new style with this one for fun, and I wanted to keep it legible and clean cut, yet old worldy. Interestingly, The map started about 2 inches shorter on each side and it had to be amended for the book publication.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ixalan Blando Sample 72dpi.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	104961

Some Detail Shots:

Name:	Ixalan Blando Sample 2 (Large).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	104956

Name:	Ixalan Blando Sample 3 (Large).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	104957

Name:	Ixalan Blando Sample 4 (Large).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	104958

Name:	Ixalan Blando Sample 5 (Large).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	104959

I will be selling 11 x 17" prints of this off my site soon, though I may get them printed larger as well. For GenCon I will be selling them as playmats!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ixalan Blando Sample 72dpi.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	104955  
    Last edited by TheRedEpic; 02-27-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added my name tag which was cut out in the book publication file

Those are quite lovely Jared. Hope these sell well for you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Beautiful map, really immersive with a personal signature and a very high professional quality.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

I concur, Jared, great map! The texture is crisp, the colors nicely muted and the detail is deep, but the map isn't too busy at all. Your old-world look has been achieved.

And I'm a sucker for Magic: The Gathering too, despite never having played a single game in my life. To me, it's all about the fluff, and I really dig the universe (or multiverse, rather) of Magic. It has a very "everything and the kitchen sink" fantasy feel. I mean, just Ixalan is vampire conquistadors vs dinosaur-riding Aztecs vs pirates vs fish-people. And the card art too, it's awesome.

I'm wondering, though, where is Torrazon? Did Wizards specifically ask for just Ixalan in their commission? Because technically, this is not a world map but a regional map. Also technically, Ixalan is referred to as a plane not a world. Yes yes, I'm being that kind of nerd, I know, I'll stop now.

Splendid work again, Jared!

Another one - It's beautiful!

DUDE. WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!?

Just when I think I can't love your work any more than I do, you go ahead and post a million amazing new maps in a matter of few days and then my brain effectively goes boom. This map has indeed a bit different style and a greener color to it than what I've previously seen on your maps, and it is flippin' gorgeous. I sure as hell hope the clients have the sense to appreciate what they got!

Amazing, just amazing. You have drained my repping powers, that most likely goes without saying, but this is a wonderful piece.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Amazing map ! May I ask what are the fonts you are using ?

Oh man, this is amazing. A few weeks ago our LGS got a playmat of your map as prize for a Standard tournament and everyone was drooling over it. Never imagined I'd randomly stumble upon the actual author of that map here. Beautiful work!

You've done an excellenty job! Really beautiful