Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Inargest

Yep, I'm in the fan club.
    This thing is gorgeous already.
    Even better than Ostmark.

This map is looking so good. Great techique for mountans, realistic landforms, beautiful lettering and a true feeling of a 1600's century map. Hard to say what could be better. Some more rivers in the flat areas perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Batat View Post
    Also, I already have another project planned, this time it will be a continent map - do you have any resources on drawing map projections by hand?
    The projections were calculated and drawn by hand somehow before computers, and I think that requires a lot of knowledge and many calculations. But if you don't need to draw the map in many projections, an easy way is to copy a grid from another map. This is what I did with my map of Magran (still ongoing project, wip here).

- Find an atlas that is larger than the size of paper in your map
    - Select a map with the same scale than your map, and from the same latitude as the place in your map (longitudes doesn't matter, naturally, and neither the hemisphere.)
    - Place your map on top of the atlas's map. North to north if the maps are on the same hemisphere and upside down if they are on different hemispheres.
    - Mark the locations of the lines of latitude and longitude in the sides of your map with pencil.
    - For longitudes, the points can be just connected with a ruler (in most projections).
    - For latitudes, I measured the distance of the line from the side of the paper in places where they crossed the longitudes and marked them on the map. Then I connected the points to one line with a flexible curve.
    - If you like, write labels for the lines in the map. Longitudes can be anything you like, latitudes the same as in the atlas.

The result is a grid of a real projection, exact as in the surface of our earth. Of course, it's only a mock projection, but it looks good. If the depicted area is large, you have to take different distortions into considerstion to keep it realistic.

I've found old cartography textbooks to be most helpful. For example one from the 1950's, Elements of Cartography, they teach in them how to make good maps by hand. There are also information about calculating the projections, if interested.

I hope this helps!
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Thanks a lot, Meton, I bet it will be really useful for me soon.
    I started working on making the sea less empty — but I think I messed up with the name in fraktur, it's too heavy and too important because of that. But, well, it looked good in pencil and it's too late now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9516.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	109396

It lives! Oh man is this a super good map, you've outdone yourself Batat, the calligraphy is insane!

*low whistle* Now that right there is impressive. I cannot wrap my head around the fact that some of you are able to do this kind of thing by hand. The lettering is insanely good-looking. I am in awe, truly.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Have to agree with Kellerica, the lettering is truly impressive. Not to detract from the map, which is also splendid!

You're welcome!

Still in love with this map, so many beautiful mountains, rivers and labels with clean and separable fonts.
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345