Thread: The Iron Dominion of Kharbizar (Challenge Entry)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default The Iron Dominion of Kharbizar (Challenge Entry)

This was my April 2018 challenge entry, where the prompt was to map a realm based on some random stats generated by the deviant minds over at donjon generators.

Here's the WIP thread: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=41110

This was my attempt to seriously follow along with Ascension's Swiss atlas-style tutorial: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=10192 (Although I did change some stuff.) If I had it to do over again I probably would have cut back on the number of contour lines and made them a little more prominent. Next time I do one of these I'll use a light tan color instead of a base green, also, so I can show forests and other features a bit more clearly.

Anyway:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IronDominion7.jpg 
Views:	868 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	106728  

As said before, I really like this one and was pleased to see the WIP
    I especially love the two tone of green and the simple labels, but the whole map sounds really authentic. I can't stop my mind to imagine how important would look like this huge plain in reality ^^

Yeah, the "you're in my world" feeling is one of the thing I love with your maps, Diamond. This one is excellent, but I'm indeed not so fond of the contour lines effect.

Thank you, guys! Yeah, I like the overall effect of the contours, but it's probably too much. I should have cut them down by maybe half. Ah well, comme ci comme ca.

As a difference of opinion, I quite like the contour lines.
    But I have a love for contours, so I am biased.

By Diamond
    Thank you, guys! Yeah, I like the overall effect of the contours, but it's probably too much. I should have cut them down by maybe half. Ah well, comme ci comme ca.
    I honestly had the same dilemma on some maps. Feels too much with the contours, but the contours also add really something to the map... A in-between could be a solution, I suppose.

I think the underlying color could make a difference too. I'm going to try one with more of a tan ground layer instead of olive and see what happens.

I'm with the contour team. As it is, I'd say your map is perfect