Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSD file recovery?

Default PSD file recovery?

Did it ever happen to you that a PSD file become corrupt for some reason ? Whenever I try to open a file I was working on ( 80 mb)
    It says not correct psd file, despite its a PSD ! ....
    The PC froze and I had to swithc off after that the psd is no more opening ... Hours of work wasted and I would like to recover that if possible ... I tried all sort of free solutions of file restore but not worked ... the non free one ask you to buy before even knowing if it would work ...

Any one had similar issues or solved somehow?

I also opened the file with an hex editor and all I see its lines and lines of 0s ... Not sure what's happened ... Its 80 mb of nothing?

I suppose this means the program doesn't have autosaves you can load?

There are some programs which autosave to a completely different file. Blender for instance has a tag along file with the same name, but different file suffix so if the original file gets corrupted you can load the autosaved one. 3D Coat has an autosave roster with 3 or 4 autosave slots that are saved sequentially and allow one to often recover files that way in the file menu. Studio Paint has a restore option that autosaves to a hidden file somewhere but will allow one to restore the workspace to the last autosave that occurred before a crash (as well as a new thing where it can copy files to a cloud). If you look at the documentation for your program or at the preferences tab you should be able to figure out some alternate recovery options using an uncorrupted autosave or backup file. Photoshop definitely must have something like that.

I can't imagine that there's no autosave... but it is possible to not have it switched on?

I also hope this isn't your delightful new hand painted map, Naima! And I wish I knew more about PS to be of some use here

To prevent disasters like this I always create a new version of the file (filename1, filename2, etc) every time I've uploaded an image here at the Guild, so that I can always go back to the previous version and lose only the stuff I've done since then if it all goes wrong.

I don't know if photoshop has an autosave feature but it is not enabled by default. What PS has is the temporary files or cache, I have no idea what it contains exactly.
    Check this link : https://www.howtogeek.com/302544/how...ve-temp-files/

I had a similar problem but was at least able to open my file only to see a giant grey rectangle with a bunch of red lines at the bottom. The file must have been corrupted when I saved.
    The difference in my case is the size of the file dropped from 300 mb to less than 5 mb. The information was lost. That is not you case if I understood correctly.

Maybe your problem is just an error in the file header: I mean it's usually a few lines of text at the beginning of the file containing information about it.

Also, you might have more luck opening it with Notepad++. I can read the file header with no problem but the rest is a pile of junk.

I am absolutely astonished that there is no actual 'autosave' feature on such an expensive piece of professional software!

Even Krita (freeware) has an autosave feature.

Oh my! Poor Naima

Thanks for the answers , I tried everything but the crap psd tols to recover files do not work , at least in my case ... so I hcad to start over, no , luckily is not my mega handpainted map but it was a small commission , I started over from scratch and with even better approach I think ...

So there is a sort of silver lining, then

Please get into the habit of saving a new version every day? Especially of your hand painted map! Losing that the same way would be an utter catastrophe!

Blog Entries

The PC froze and I had to swithc off
    is this Microsoft Windows ?

if so I EXPECT!!!! "windows explorer " to hard crash at least ONCE A DAY

sometimes 2 to 4 times a day

get into the habit of using incremental saves

now being on Linux for the last 12 years , no real issues with the window manager just up and shooting it's self and dying while i am working

also use a UPS for the random power issues
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast