Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June / July '18 Lite Challenge: Roland's Journey

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Got lots of little things finished! I added Oy the billy-bumbler and Zoltan, the raven at Brown's Hut, and also adjusted the text size here and there. I added to and adjusted the timeline to better match the descriptions in the books. I think this is done, unless I find mistakes.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolands Journey v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	11.03 MB 
ID:	108249
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 07-08-2018 at 12:00 PM.

"Bear-Turle Beam" Missing a "t"?

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    "Bear-Turle Beam" Missing a "t"?
    Indeed it is. Nice catch! I've looked at this thing far too many times, but having to fix that typo also gave me the opportunity to tweak a few things that were bothering me. I'll post an update momentarily.

Moving the description of the map to my last post, except for this part, relevant to Larb's awesome post below:

My map ends in Lud, which powerfully reminds Jake, Eddie, and Susannah of New York. After an adventure in Lud that I didn't document on the map, the ka-tet boards Blaine the Monorail (who is both pink and murderously insane) for a trip through the Wastelands.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Rolands Journey v7 (sm).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	9.99 MB 
ID:	108258
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 07-09-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Well done Aeshnidae! Great map, and a true journey.

Thanks, Bogie! The first 3 books in the series are my favorites so it was a lot of fun to map the journey!

...there's a homicidal, pink, sentient monorail train?
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    ...there's a homicidal, pink, sentient monorail train?
    First: I think this is my favorite post of the year.

Second: Yep, there sure is! And he had a sibling, Patricia, who was blue (she killed herself - which was mostly Blaine's fault - before Roland's ka-tet arrived in Lud). Also Blaine likes riddles; there's a whole bit that revolves around a riddling contest between Blaine and the ka-tet.
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 07-09-2018 at 02:38 PM.

One minor change, because I found that I could not resist adding the jibber-jabber spoken by the lobstrosities.

This map covers some key plot points from the first three books in the Dark Tower series. MINOR(ish) SPOILERS AHEAD. For those who aren't familiar with the Dark Tower series, it starts (as does the timeline on my map) with Roland following the Man in Black into the Mohaine Desert; the town of Tull is behind him when the novel begins. Roland is the last gunslinger - think Arthurian knights but with guns, which btw are forged from Excalibur because Roland's world is very similar to ours (our worlds are simply different levels of the Dark Tower, and there are doorways between them). Roland's world has "emptied" and "moved on" so things like time, direction, and distance are no longer trustworthy. Roland is an agent of The White; the Man in Black is an agent of the Crimson King, who seeks to tear down the Dark Tower, which is the linchpin of space and time and the multiverse. If the Tower falls, there will be chaos ruled by the Crimson King.

As Roland follows the Man in Black and seeks the Dark Tower, he assembles a "ka-tet" - a group of people bound together by Ka, which is fate/destiny and a universal force. The ka-tet is a close-knit family. The first 3 members of the ka-tet come from different times in our world's New York City or very close versions of it: Jake, a young boy; Eddie, an addict; and Odetta, a wealthy civil rights advocate with a second personality, the hardscrabble Detta. Odetta and Detta eventually fuse into Susannah and she and Eddie become gunslingers. The ka-tet eventually finds the path of the bear-turtle beam, which will lead them to the Dark Tower. Jake re-enters Roland's world and joins the ka-tet. Shortly thereafter they find a billy-bumbler, a highly intelligent animal (looks like a dog/woodchuck/raccoon) who can count and speak, which is rare since the world has moved on. Jake calls him "boy" and the billy-bumbler repeats "Oy," and so Oy is his name. Eventually the humans realize that Oy is a full-fledged member of the ka-tet. My map ends in Lud, which powerfully reminds Jake, Eddie, and Susannah of New York. After an adventure in Lud that I didn't document on the map, the ka-tet boards Blaine the Monorail (who is both pink and murderously insane) for a trip through the Wastelands.

The map was drawn in Photoshop with a Wacom Intuous tablet, except that the trees in the Great West Woods and Willow Jungle are brushes, as is the skull at Golgotha. The font is The Dead Saloon.

### Winner ###

Name:	Rolands Journey v8 (sm).jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	5.39 MB 
ID:	108291
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-17-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Lovely work, aeshnidae. Great to see more DT art, especially when it's as well-done as this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast