Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Forgotten Realms

Quote Originally Posted by Meton View Post
    I have to say that I practiced drawing those mountain by looking at your maps, MistyBeee, so thank you!
    Oh, you're really welcome ! It's an honor if you think my work worth to be used as a reference !

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh, you're really welcome ! It's an honor if you think my work worth to be used as a reference !
    Oh yes, your work definitely is a great reference!
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Wip

A small update. The coastlines are now finished, and so are mountains, excluding the hills in northeast corner. I've added some labels and most of the roads too.

I think the map is beginning to look susrprisingly good. I very happy about how the labeling and mountains work together, for example in the "Great mountains". However, I also made one mistake with the region names. I wrote the name "Burnt Lands" as 2 millimetres high before realising it should have been 1,7 mm high. I guess no one else really will notice it, but I see it all the time. But I think I can live with it. There's also a stain in the middle of the paper (in the sea near Northern Peninsula). I don't know where it came from or what to do with it. These are the moments when I understand very well the benefits of digital map drawing.

There's still about one third of labels to add, mostly island names. After that I will do the coastline effect, a sort of ripples, which will hopefully enhance the coastline in a good way. And then there's also the title of the map, frame, and compass rose. Drawing this map has been fun and relatively fast, it's nice to see the world opening up by drawing it. I think the map calls for an adventure to happen in it's world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	835.5 KB 
ID:	109716

This is looking great, and I wouldn't worry about any small stains on the paper. I think these add to the charm of hand-drawn maps. I enjoy the little 'imperfections'.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That's a really great job ! Have you tried adding a little something to the coast, inland or in the sea, to contrast your landmasses from the sea ?

Definitely great. I especially love how you included the mountain range names, and I look forward to see the final version !

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is looking great, and I wouldn't worry about any small stains on the paper. I think these add to the charm of hand-drawn maps. I enjoy the little 'imperfections'.
    Thank you ChickPea! I think you're right, it's not so serious!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Definitely great. I especially love how you included the mountain range names, and I look forward to see the final version !
    Thank you Beee I can't wait to see it too!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    That's a really great job ! Have you tried adding a little something to the coast, inland or in the sea, to contrast your landmasses from the sea ?
    Thanks a lot Thomas! Oh yes, that little something is about to come! I'll do it when all the labels that will be located in the sea are added, so I can draw around them.

The thing I'm planning to do is shown in one of my Instagram posts, I copied the picture below. What do you think? Would it work well? My only concern is that the Forgotten Lands map is in a bit different scale than this test map, so I'm not sure if I should draw the lines in a similar way or closer to each other so it would be in a same scale to the smaller mountains of the map.

Name:	Rantaviivat.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	109745

Wip

So, I have finished drawing mountains and writing labels, so all the cartographic information is there! After that I continued to that "little something" for the coastlines, which I've also got finished. It was fun to go through all the coastlines and see how the islands pop out! In addition to the current state of the map, there's also an earlier picture of the map showing how I did the coastline effect.

I began by drawing two buffer lines for the coastlines and some horizontal reference lines with pencil. Then I draw the ripples following a rule that inside the first buffer there's always a line, and inside the second buffer the line is usually dashed or just partially drawn. I'm not entirely happy with the result, but in general it works quite nicely. I learned better how to do it when doing it, so the first drawn ripples are not as good as the last ones. However, I guess the difference in not easily seen.

Now there's only the compasss rose and title to add. And perhaps I should do something more with the frame also, but I'm not sure what.

Picture of the map with the assisting lines for the ripples: (my name in the corner is added with computer)

Name:	wip_4.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	864.7 KB 
ID:	109905

Picture of the map now:

Name:	wip_5.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1,002.1 KB 
ID:	109906

Any thoughts or comments? I'm doing this map mostly to just practice the style and techniques, so if see something you think could be done better or I should concentrate more to, let me know!

Great work! And your waves lines are just right.

The more I see your work, the more I love it ! Your calligraphy is so clean, and the waves are perfect
    Evil question : no forests ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast