Thread: Tinker's Oasis

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Tinker's Oasis

Hey, I posted map of Tinker oasis in the section of finished maps, but as it looks, there is a lot of work still. You can find the thread here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...699#post380699

On this note - we figured out (after some small additions to the map), that the colours are really bad for finishing touches - there was huge disproportions between colours of the city and the rest of the map around Tinker's Oasis. And given the fact, that around the city are acid lakes, i changed colouring a lot. And I wonna your advice, is it better? Here is the map now...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tinker oasis rough colours.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	571.0 KB 
ID:	108898

Here it is after we applied some filters we tinkered with... What do you think?

Name:	tinker oasis with filtres.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	358.6 KB 
ID:	108899

And my last question, we wanted to add some names on it... But when I look on maps for example to some books of DnD 5e, they have there only numbers and description is in the text of the book, not in the map itself... What's better? Do you know? Do you have some advice? Would really appreciate, if you will help us...
    Here is something with description and with filters:

Name:	tinker oasis filters and names.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	108900

This is a very promising map, Ladislav. I think there are some things that are better with the filtered version and some things are worse: I think the landscape is much better in the filtered version (especially the trees and the central hill) but the filters make the city buildings look worse. Personally, I tend to avoid using filters in Photoshop because I think it tends to look too digital in the end, and it often obscures details, too. I also think the filtered version has a much better colour scheme than the original.

Regarding adding labels, I tend to think that having a frame on the map is one of the best ways to show the landmarks and locations in the map - it is certainly much better (in my opinion) than having the labels in a separate document.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer