Thread: Calderon World

Default Calderon World

This was on my to do list for a long long time (almost 2 years i think). I am happy i was able to finally make it.

It is my first attempt on round world map and i must say that is it not as easy as it may look. Maintaining the right perspective for the geographical features is quite difficult, especially in the inner circle of the globe when two or more perspective are "joining". The Yandar region mountains don't look right to me, i think they supposed to follow the same perspective as the rightmost mountains, but i left it... because i am lazy

Anyway, i hope you like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calderon Planet_CG.jpg 
Views:	1471 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	108920
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This is pretty cool! Reminds me a lot of J.Edward's map of the Thurian Age.
    I like the continental shapes and you have an interesting mountains style.

One thing i want to point out (you probably know this but if not, you'll know in a second ^^ ) : Moria is a name used by Tolkien for one of the Dwarven realms. So you might (or not) want to change that.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

You did very well. I really like the style of the planets.

Very nice. Looks great to me. Just one small thing I would like to point out.

The mountains right at the horizon point out pretty far. Making them look huge, or making the world look tiny. You might want to draw them smaller than the ones in the center, because they are further away from this point of view.

Other than that, it's a great looking planet.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Great work on this, Voolf. It definitely has some of the Thurian's magic in it .
    And I love the little planetary system too .

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Well smack me arse and call me Sally. This is amazing!

I really gotta do one like this some day. I already have a system in mind to make sure all mountains (and forest etc!) are rotated in the right direction. Come to think of it, the relative height of the viewer (whether you're looking from far above a particular mountain of mostly from the side) also defines how to draw the mountains. Not sure how I'd tackle that though... Woah, this is giving me all sorts of ideas.

But for the time being (drowning in non-cartographic stuff as I am), I can only fantasize about what I'd do, and drool over what you've done. This is outstanding work, Rafal! Kudos!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    This is pretty cool! Reminds me a lot of J.Edward's map of the Thurian Age.
    I like the continental shapes and you have an interesting mountains style.

One thing i want to point out (you probably know this but if not, you'll know in a second ^^ ) : Moria is a name used by Tolkien for one of the Dwarven realms. So you might (or not) want to change that.
    Yes, J.E. map was mostly my imspiration. I wanted to make planet map since i first saw this kind of art long time ago.
    About the Moria... I did not know that, it is purely conincidential and i don't think this name is a trademark for Tolkiens world, so i won't bother changing it . Thanks for the heads up anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    You did very well. I really like the style of the planets.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief84 View Post
    Very nice. Looks great to me. Just one small thing I would like to point out.

The mountains right at the horizon point out pretty far. Making them look huge, or making the world look tiny. You might want to draw them smaller than the ones in the center, because they are further away from this point of view.

Other than that, it's a great looking planet.
    I see your point, but i think in this kind of map the artistic side is more important the the actual scale. If i would have to follow the scale, the planet would be absolutely smooth round for human eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great work on this, Voolf. It definitely has some of the Thurian's magic in it .
    And I love the little planetary system too .
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Well smack me arse and call me Sally. This is amazing!

I really gotta do one like this some day. I already have a system in mind to make sure all mountains (and forest etc!) are rotated in the right direction. Come to think of it, the relative height of the viewer (whether you're looking from far above a particular mountain of mostly from the side) also defines how to draw the mountains. Not sure how I'd tackle that though... Woah, this is giving me all sorts of ideas.

But for the time being (drowning in non-cartographic stuff as I am), I can only fantasize about what I'd do, and drool over what you've done. This is outstanding work, Rafal! Kudos!
    Thank you so much Pieter.
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

You did a fantastic job, Voolf. It looks fab.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    You did a fantastic job, Voolf. It looks fab.
    Thank you very much
    New Horizons

Support:

This is perfect, laziness included I can relate when you quietly avoid the central zone. Great job and I'll be back for some rep !