Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grindstone Island

Default Grindstone Island

Hi Guild !

I have something a little different to show today. It's a map I just finished, a gift for a friend for whom this island on the Saint Laurent river is very important.
    I drew this map as an expriment of a different style and tried hard to just... how to say... disconnect my brain and "just draw". So no brain, no thinking, no planning, just a "let's see where it goes". But it sounds my brain was full of J.Edwards maps, since I think there is some (unintended) similarities, maybe ? ^^
    I didn't wanted to add much details, so it's mostly coastline and forests plus a suggestion of fields and roads. And labels. Not even a compass, no real title... Well... something different, but super fun to draw

Usual informations :
    - A5 size.
    - Hand made in Photoshop CC2018 using a Cintiq 16 pro,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrindstoneIsland_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	491.0 KB 
ID:	109300

Hope you'll love it !

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

I adore it! I also am very attached to the Saint-Lawrence river, since I live near Montreal. Your map is stunning, as always!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Nice work Beee.
    I like the hint of field lines.
    And the little camp site
    It's good to have fun with what you love.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I love the fact that it's breaking through the border of the map itself. It's an interesting layout but I worry some some of the islands sort of loose themselves in the border, specifically to the left of the map. They don't push off much and start to look more like border embellishment.

Your work is always special, Beee. This is no exception!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    I adore it! I also am very attached to the Saint-Lawrence river, since I live near Montreal. Your map is stunning, as always!
    Thank you Mimine ! I'm especially happy to see you love it since you're from that area ^^

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Nice work Beee.
    I like the hint of field lines.
    And the little camp site
    It's good to have fun with what you love.
    I could draw those little camps all day long, and I'm really happy you love it ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by David Fink Barrentine View Post
    I love the fact that it's breaking through the border of the map itself. It's an interesting layout but I worry some some of the islands sort of loose themselves in the border, specifically to the left of the map. They don't push off much and start to look more like border embellishment.
    In fact I think it's something I really like, to be honest, so it should be a matter of taste ? I always try to create an harmony between the map itself and the ornaments, so if islands become a part of the border and can be confounded with, I think it's a success ^^
    But of course, it would not be appropriate for every kind of maps : this one is not dedicated to be useful or even informative, just... lovely and nostalgic

Quote Originally Posted by AlfansosRevenge View Post
    Your work is always special, Beee. This is no exception!
    Thank you so much, Alfanso ! That's such a great compliment !!

Great map! It has a lot of character .
    I'm picturing this on the board of aship, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map! It has a lot of character .
    I'm picturing this on the board of aship, for some reason.
    Thanks Ilanthar ! ^^
    As told before, it was a lot of fun. And I can confirm there is a lot of ships on the map : from the satellite view I used as a reference, it was sometimes tough to make the difference between biggest ships and smallest islands ! ^^

Beee strikes again. I really enjoy the border and the simplicity of the map as a whole. That tiny little illustration of the trees is somehow really adorable.

What font(s) did you use for this, by the way? It looks really good.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Beee strikes again. I really enjoy the border and the simplicity of the map as a whole. That tiny little illustration of the trees is somehow really adorable.

What font(s) did you use for this, by the way? It looks really good.
    Thank you Kell !!
    The font is IM Fell, as far as I remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast