Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Hadar [Commission]

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Map City of Hadar [Commission]

A recent commission that was finalized this week. I've been working a little with perspective lately and, town building within that but had never done anything this large and detailed before. The brief was a middle eastern town with a sort of, petra influence with a few key buildings woven in. Also needed to be within a walled valley area with directions for the exits but otherwise it was pretty freeform with creating districts and placement.

Researched a little of that area of development and such, had a mood board which was nice too and then sketched from there to start. On a project this big ther is definitely a lot I'd try to do differently next time. Would be nice to have a bigger canvas to start and tae more time, although, obviously when the price is right haha. With a bigger canvas I feel like I could have detailed a little more.. like with the farmland are and maybe adding a bit more detail to the buildings. Honestly not too happy with the cavern wall styles yet either, still working on a style I like, and that looks right for me. I do a lot more top down but not much of this perspective so played around a little with linework, shadowing. Going to be practicing cavern walls in my spare time now lol. And god damn it, still don't have a brush i love just yet.

BUt yeh, was fun push the boundaries of what i was used to and branch out a little. to practice more perspective mapping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hadar 1.3 no title.jpg 
Views:	844 
Size:	8.83 MB 
ID:	109327

Hmm... so many work here, Eri, and it's full of amazing ideas which makes the whole town really consistent.
    Do you plan to add a title or a key ?

Great work, Eri !
    And thanks a lot for posting a high res version. I love when I can admire the details.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Hmm... so many work here, Eri, and it's full of amazing ideas which makes the whole town really consistent.
    Do you plan to add a title or a key ?
    Commision was just for the map, no extras. I did plan some space for a legend and building key but I'd already spent a lot of time on it, fa r more than I prob budgeted soooooo... I might play around with borders and all that eventually though,

There was a title but I thought getting the flat one leaves it free for people to add to their own campaigns

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great work, Eri !
    And thanks a lot for posting a high res version. I love when I can admire the details.
    Share and share alike haha.. Love it when others post their high res too. It's nice to study the linework, and effects used

Great work, pretty nice details too: the acqueduct, the market, the colosseum, you really catched the "mid-easter" style!

This is nicely done. Great work on the perspective.

Awesome work Eri
    A lot of interesting bits in there.

Awesome city Eri.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Member Facebook Connected

This is fantastic, Eri. I love the immense amount of detail given throughout the city. I had an active jaw drop moment when I zoomed in on the market square with all the tents. This really is beautiful. How long did it take to do this commission? I know you said you'd like a bit more time if you do something this big again.
    Last edited by David Fink Barrentine; 08-16-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: fix typo for clarification.

Great map! The whole aqueduct is higher than the river and the water is going the wrong way was really bugging me until I looked at it again tonight and suddenly realized that the water in the river is flowing from right to left not left to right as I initially misinterpreted it, and the water fall is falling down into the river and agueduct and not the other way around. IT.SUDDENLY.MAKES.SENSE! Damn, I'm slow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast