Thread: Secundria /work in progress

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Map Secundria /work in progress

Hello,

This is the world I'm currently playing around with. The name for the world I have not chosen yet but for the time being I am using a name of one of the regions within it.

I know it has a long way but this is just a project map for me to get better -and to fill my weekends.

I drew a mockup first on an A4 visual art diary, then inked; traced on to an A3 and inked in details before tracing to an A2 and finishing surrounding regions. I already know how criminally inefficient this process is, it was more of starting out as doodling, then expanding to a larger canvas... Twice.

The upload here I have shrunk down to be a small enough file to allow upload.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Secundria.UploadReady.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	109437

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Nice start!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice start. Two points - I can't read the labels at all, and the top left island is very regular in shape, not very natural.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Very nice start. Two points - I can't read the labels at all, and the top left island is very regular in shape, not very natural.
    Cheers; I am planning on re-doing the labels on gimp to make them clear.
    Also I am glad I'm not the only one who hates that top left island! I have already removed it.

This is looking great! Watching with interest.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Well, I ran this map through this tutorial: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1142, by RobA. Great instructions, too bad I'm terrible at following instructions

I stopped at the land as I felt it didn't look 'right', if you know what I mean. So what I am going to do is re do this tutorial from scratch except this time follow it to the letter. Then I'll go back over to make alterations to just the way I want it.

Name:	Heliograve2.0.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	596.1 KB 
ID:	109719

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Default 2.1

Alright, after an angry walk then sat down and paid attention, I've made progress!
    - Using the following tutorial: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1142 , by RobA

Name:	UpdateHeliograve 2.1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	6.54 MB 
ID:	109720

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

It's terrible. But I'm making progress. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with the mountains, I just can't seem to get them right. Anyway, here's where I'm at;
    1) the northern peninsula didn't work properly although nothing serious, on a re-do I should spot this a lot sooner and fix.
    2) I feel that the mountains are too steep and lacking suitable foothills, but I think next time I'll try a much larger blur.
    3) The snow caps are seriously lacking, but it shouldn't be any problem on the next attempt.

Hopefully I'm not neglecting anything major, but otherwise going it's steady.
    -

Name:	checkPoint4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	110584