Thread: Thunder Rock City: Night and Day

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map Thunder Rock City: Night and Day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunder Rock Final_Night_70%_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	4.89 MB 
ID:	109519

I realised something. It is not too often that you see a night version of a map. So, with that thought in mind this city got two main versions.

Hehe, this map started out as a very humble drawing, which you can see here. I wanted to do a city map for quite a while, in fact I wanted to start with one from my novel's world, but that one would have been waaaay too complicated for my first city map. (I have done a town before. But a city map is a whole different monster.)

Anyway, I started with the outlines of the land, walls and main road with pencil. And after that I started drawing in the buildings also with pencil. This took quite some time, and I could realistically have started with pen from the get go, but this was a big experiment and I wanted some area to fix errors while on the paper. So, as expected, I had to draw every single building twice 0_o pencil and then pen. Though, I will say this, I erased quite a few times to do something differently, so when I got to penning it in, it was literally just tracing the lines already drawn, which made it easier with something that couldn't just be erased.

This was a fun challenge, although there was quite a lot of grinding throughout, like drawing all the small buildings with a magnifying glass in hand, like adding the roof shadows and the cast shadows and definitely adding the lights. But, there is something really satisfying about doing a city map. It is COMPLETELY different for me from doing a continent map or a dungeon map. A tip, if you are going to add your shadows with a multiply layer, lighten up the base map considerably, it helps.

The color scheme came about as one person who commented made me think I like the experimental color palette I went with too and so stuck with it.

Now, the name Thunder Rock was me making a nod to a scene in the 13th Warrior movie. A movie me and my friends enjoyed quite a bit. Hmmm, I am wondering if I should just tell the story here... But, I feel a good curiosity doesn't hurt any. Huehuehue. As is with some mysterious things I added to the map.

As this is not just a personal project I only posted these two at roughly 70% its size and on 95% Quality.

The Day version

Name:	Thunder Rock Final_Day_70%_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	6.70 MB 
ID:	109520

Head here for the WIP thread.

Hope you enjoy the map,
    Omri

Copyright 2018

Below: Added a map with Labels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunder Rock_ProperNames.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.91 MB 
ID:	109643  
    Last edited by XCali; 08-19-2018 at 02:53 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

This is a really neat idea! I'm always a sucker for a nice 'city nights' scene, and I love the way you did the lights on the night version. The colors on the day version are top-notch too. An impressive drawing, and both versions work extremely well. A great pair, I like 'em a lot!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    This is a really neat idea! I'm always a sucker for a nice 'city nights' scene, and I love the way you did the lights on the night version. The colors on the day version are top-notch too. An impressive drawing, and both versions work extremely well. A great pair, I like 'em a lot!
    Aw, thank you.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Very nice maps XCali ! Both night and day color palettes are very well chosen.

Good job, Omri ! I definitely love the ambiance of this map, both for night and day !

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice maps XCali ! Both night and day color palettes are very well chosen.
    I appreciate it. I'm glad it came out so well in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Good job, Omri ! I definitely love the ambiance of this map, both for night and day !
    Thank you Misty Your feedback helped me loads throughout the project. I really am grateful. I just wish I can figure out how to put labels on the map that looks like it is part of the map. It is something I have been struggling with for such a long time on my maps and still yet have to get it right, so I opted to go without it for now. But, anyway, have a nice day

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

These turned out great. I'm super fond of the night time version. It's fantastic!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    These turned out great. I'm super fond of the night time version. It's fantastic!
    Thank you.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Here is a version of it with the Name labels.

I'll also add it to the first post.

Name:	Thunder Rock_Night_Names_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	4.91 MB 
ID:	109641

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Discuss Great Map

This map looks awesome! I love Miner's Town location, but I think the houses could be a bit more loose in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast