Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map Thunder Rock City: Night and Day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunder Rock Final_Night_70%_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	4.89 MB 
ID:	109519

I realised something. It is not too often that you see a night version of a map. So, with that thought in mind this city got two main versions.

Hehe, this map started out as a very humble drawing, which you can see here. I wanted to do a city map for quite a while, in fact I wanted to start with one from my novel's world, but that one would have been waaaay too complicated for my first city map. (I have done a town before. But a city map is a whole different monster.)

Anyway, I started with the outlines of the land, walls and main road with pencil. And after that I started drawing in the buildings also with pencil. This took quite some time, and I could realistically have started with pen from the get go, but this was a big experiment and I wanted some area to fix errors while on the paper. So, as expected, I had to draw every single building twice 0_o pencil and then pen. Though, I will say this, I erased quite a few times to do something differently, so when I got to penning it in, it was literally just tracing the lines already drawn, which made it easier with something that couldn't just be erased.

This was a fun challenge, although there was quite a lot of grinding throughout, like drawing all the small buildings with a magnifying glass in hand, like adding the roof shadows and the cast shadows and definitely adding the lights. But, there is something really satisfying about doing a city map. It is COMPLETELY different for me from doing a continent map or a dungeon map. A tip, if you are going to add your shadows with a multiply layer, lighten up the base map considerably, it helps.

The color scheme came about as one person who commented made me think I like the experimental color palette I went with too and so stuck with it.

Now, the name Thunder Rock was me making a nod to a scene in the 13th Warrior movie. A movie me and my friends enjoyed quite a bit. Hmmm, I am wondering if I should just tell the story here... But, I feel a good curiosity doesn't hurt any. Huehuehue. As is with some mysterious things I added to the map.

As this is not just a personal project I only posted these two at roughly 70% its size and on 95% Quality.

The Day version
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunder Rock Final_Day_70%_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	6.70 MB 
ID:	109520

Head here for the WIP thread.

Hope you enjoy the map,
    Omri

Copyright 2018

Below: Added a map with Labels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunder Rock_ProperNames.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.91 MB 
ID:	109643  
    Last edited by XCali; 08-19-2018 at 02:53 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19