Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September 2018 Entry: Camelot

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    And now I'm going to have "On second thoughts let's not go to Camelot. Tis a silly place." in my head along with the song. I'll probably be caught singing it in work sometime today

Great map though I'm not sure about the shires as the island was split into various Anglo-Saxon kingdoms with some Celtic ones remaining in Wales and Cornwall plus the Danes were beginning to settle too.
    I've had the entirety of the Camelot soundtrack plus the Monty Python song running through my head for days. At least that has expunged all of the Little Mermaid songs that got lodged in my brain while looking after my 2 year old nephew. (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Little Mermaid...just not 5 times per day for several days in a row!)

The shires are based on a historical map from the 10th century, not the 9th, as I mistakenly said earlier. But I combined Hampshire, Wiltshire, and Berkshire into "Shiretowns" to make the map a bit less cluttered. I also went with Winchester as the site of Camelot; I know there's an ongoing academic dispute about Winchester vs. Caerleon vs. a handful of other places but Winchester looked best on the map, so it won.

I did some shading on the castle and Excalibur, decided to go with "Castle Camelot" rather than Winchester Castle because my drawing is not based on anything in Winchester, and fixed some typos. I've decided that [American] football days are good mapping days, since I'm generally plunked down in the front of the TV, and it's nice to have an actual break from work.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camelot Map v5 (sm).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	110236

A few more minor edits, mostly shading. I also decided to add the Round Table, masquerading as the compass. Does it make the map too cluttered?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Camelot Map v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	4.88 MB 
ID:	110246

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Beyond the artistic aspect, it perfectly fulfils the primary role of a map... beeing a map: the county labels and borders are clear and unambiguous and I realized by looking at it that I was absolutely bad at political geography of England and I spent a lot of time studying it. Thank you for that !

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Beyond the artistic aspect, it perfectly fulfils the primary role of a map... beeing a map: the county labels and borders are clear and unambiguous and I realized by looking at it that I was absolutely bad at political geography of England and I spent a lot of time studying it. Thank you for that !
    What a wonderful compliment, thank you! I am also bad at the political geography of England; I'm relying on a map by a University of Texas professor who specializes in 10th century England. It was nice to become more familiar with it, though, since I read so much medieval English history (really).

This is done unless I find typos. This was such a fun challenge!

Camelot - hand drawn in Photoshop on a Wacom Intuos tablet. I drew the buildings from real buildings: Château de Pierrefonds (located northeast of Paris and which I've always thought looks like Camelot) and Mátyás-templom (Matthias Church) in Budapest, which has a much, much cooler roof in real life (really, go Google it). Clockwise from top left, the shields are the coats of arms of Galahad, Lancelot, Percival, Arthur, and Gawain. I decided to use the Round Table itself for a compass. The font is Enchanted Land.

I based the shires on a historical map of 10th Century England; again, apologies to anyone from the UK if I messed it up!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Camelot Map v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.88 MB 
ID:	110266

I already told it earlier, but that's a really cool map ! You're better and better at drawing buildings at every map !
    And as I have like... 0 knlowlege in historical geography of England, it sounds totally accurate to me

Thanks, MistyBeee! I've been able to see improvement in my building drawings (and drawings in general). But I'm not sure I'll ever achieve the effortless awesomeness of your maps!

Found and fixed one little error - done now!

Camelot - hand drawn in Photoshop on a Wacom Intuos tablet. I drew the buildings from real buildings: Château de Pierrefonds (located northeast of Paris and which I've always thought looks like Camelot) and Mátyás-templom (Matthias Church) in Budapest, which has a much, much cooler roof in real life (really, go Google it). Clockwise from top left, the shields are the coats of arms of Galahad, Lancelot, Percival, Arthur, and Gawain. I decided to use the Round Table itself for a compass. The font is Enchanted Land.

I based the shires on a historical map of 10th Century England; again, apologies to anyone from the UK if I messed it up!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Camelot Map v7 (sm).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	110551

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Those castle and church are shiny!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12