Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sept / Oct '18 Lite Challenge: Hogwart's Express Patent Papers

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Default Sept / Oct '18 Lite Challenge: Hogwart's Express Patent Papers

Mapping is the only thing that will take my mind off work at the moment, so I figured if I entered the challenge it would give me a good reason to map. I was drawing a total blank on what to map from the Potterverse and then I was reviewing a patent at work (possibly the least exciting thing ever) and I thought...yeah, patent drawings!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hogwarts Express v1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	110449

Great idea, welcome to the challenge!!

A challenge is never complete without Aeshnidae ! And I love this idea too. Can't wait to see what's coming here !

Cool idea!

This is quite cool. I love the artistic style of patents and engineering drawings. As an engineer, I'm always supportive of anything technical. Good luck with the challenge!

Good to see an entry from you.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    I was reviewing a patent at work (possibly the least exciting thing ever)
    Yah, I've read more than one patent.
    And I was involved an infringement trial once (the court ruled that they infringed our patent).

At least you should understand the legalese that they're written in.

I'd say that financial reports rank right up there (or down there) when it comes to unexciting reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great idea, welcome to the challenge!!
    Thanks, Bogie! I'm so glad to have this challenge to relax my brain a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    A challenge is never complete without Aeshnidae ! And I love this idea too. Can't wait to see what's coming here !
    Thanks, MistyBeee! I'm working on improving my train drawing. Interestingly for someone who rarely thinks about trains (unless there's a delay on the DC metro), this is the second map I've drawn that includes a train!

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Cool idea!
    Thank you! I was going to do Diagon Alley, but I what I was picturing was so much like Tonquani's amazing "Drunkard's Side" challenge entry that I decided to go in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfansosRevenge View Post
    This is quite cool. I love the artistic style of patents and engineering drawings. As an engineer, I'm always supportive of anything technical. Good luck with the challenge!
    Sweet, an engineer approves! That's a win in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    Good to see an entry from you.

Yah, I've read more than one patent.
    And I was involved an infringement trial once (the court ruled that they infringed our patent).

At least you should understand the legalese that they're written in.

I'd say that financial reports rank right up there (or down there) when it comes to unexciting reading.
    You're right, financial reports are hard to beat for unexciting reading. That's really interesting that you were involved in a patent infringement trial! My job is generally making sure that nothing ever goes to trial. But I had to teach an intellectual property course to research administrators, so I made up a patent rights case that revolved around Stark Industries funding university research. A lot of people have made patent art out of Marvel comics' tech, which is pretty cool.

I had some time to work on this while watching Thursday Night Football (which I still consider to be an abomination, NFL games should be Sundays and Monday night only until the playoffs). I decided to ditch the front elevation of the engine, because everything else is focused on the carriages. I added a front elevation of a carriage instead, and plan on doing a side elevation of a carriage and a drawing of the Hogwart's Express.

I tried to follow the general layout from the movie scenes that take place in the Hogwart's Express - a 3-seater cushioned bench on each side of the passenger cabin with a small bit of legroom between the benches. I was thinking about adding some doodads here and there, like an owl cage sitting on one of the benches, but I'm wondering if the benches themselves are too busy/distracting.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Hogwarts Express v2 (sm).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	110555

The carriage front elevation is more appropriate.

That's a pretty tight squeeze in the prefect's carriage between the lower right chair and the passenger cabins.

Edit: The seat cushions don't match the style of the rest of the drawing.
    Engineering drawings are usually done with very controlled lines - straight edges, french curves, etc.
    Last edited by bkh1914; 09-29-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks, bkh1914! I moved the parlor chairs a bit in the prefect's carriage. Good point about the seat cushion style; I'll re-do those.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Hogwarts Express v3 (sm).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	110561

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast