Thread: The City of Hofendal

Default The City of Hofendal

Hi everyone! I just finished a new map for my Patreon, this time the City of Hofendal, capital of the Kingdom of Rasfadal. This map marks the beginning of a new theme: Urban maps. I plan to map out the sewers of the city too, as well as some encounter maps of the sewers. Probably a tavern or so as well.

Anyways, here's a small bit of background I have written up.

At the mouth of the rivers Lyar and Thring lies the city of Hofendal, capital of the Kingdom of Rasfadal. This is where the King of Rasfadal has spend his days since the War in the West ended. His hands are more than full with all the work and rebuilding that needs to be done after the devastating war. Many people have come to find refuge in Hofendal. Lords from the east come to ask for aid in reclaiming their lost holdings in the Swamps, but the war took its toll, and many men were lost. There aren't many to spare.

Until the Swamps can be reclaimed, these 'Homeless Lords' and their men have no place to go to, and so they make their home in Hofendal. Because of this, the city is filled with nobles and soldiers.

Proud as they are, the lords love to challenge each other, and settle old feuds. Many soldiers engage in fights in the streets and taverns. This has lead to the deaths of three soldiers and one innocent bystander already.

The King is desperately looking for ways to get the lords out of the city. With depleted resources, he has no intention in fighting the bandit kings and waging another war, but it seems like the only way. Any help he can get is more than welcome!

The City of Hofendal offers a great variety of work and quests for players. The king will be happy with any aid he can get, and many if the lords will probably have tasks for you as well. Then there are the people of Hofendal that can certainly use the help of experienced adventures as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hofendal CG.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	5.83 MB 
ID:	112683

As always, let me know what you think!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hi Daniel!

Great map, as usual. Three points where I may have to offer some constructive criticism:
    - the houses would probably work better with a small bit more variety in roof color (nothing drastic, but maybe one or two houses with tiled roofs in every major road?)
    - the fields look great; why not add a few outside the walls?
    - this city needs a moat!

Great work as usual, Daniel ! I love how you subtly suggested the elevation in some places

Splendid map. I especially like the fields inside the walls. You don't see that often, but it's a nice detail that adds a lot of creative possibilities.

Cheers,
    Karl

Very nice, I really like how you highlighted the points of interest! Such a simple idea, but it works really well. I think the river has to be my favorite little detail, I love how you colored that. As for feedback, I'd have to second Wired's comment on the roof colors. Also a minor little detail, Gaul Falith has a corner that cuts into the wall in a way that looks a little out of place to me. A great little city, nice work!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

That's a pretty map with nice subtle shadows and colors. You're developping a nice signature style here And I agree with kell about hte white outlines for the important buildings, brilliant idea with your style. I agree with the three comments by Sebastian. About the roofs, I use a base color and add variety by using black and whites on an overlay layer where I play with opacity. I sometimes add some greens or grey touches to emulate moss or lichen. Great job Daniël !

Very fine map, as per usual, Daniel!

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Hi Daniel!

Great map, as usual. Three points where I may have to offer some constructive criticism:
    - the houses would probably work better with a small bit more variety in roof color (nothing drastic, but maybe one or two houses with tiled roofs in every major road?)
    - the fields look great; why not add a few outside the walls?
    - this city needs a moat!
    Thank you Sebastian! Thank you for the feedback. I had added a colour jitter so that each house would be a different shade of brown, but it might be too subtle? Maybe more red-brown-ish houses?
    I don't know why, but there's something about drawing fields that I greatly dislike. I did imagine fields being outside the city walls, but just couldn't be bothered drawing them Maybe it would have looked better though.
    Aah, the moat, I wanted to add that around the old town (northern part) but it seems I forgot to.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, it's really apprecciated. I might actually get back and update the map with these, as well as add a graveyard.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Great work as usual, Daniel ! I love how you subtly suggested the elevation in some places
    Thanks Beee!

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Splendid map. I especially like the fields inside the walls. You don't see that often, but it's a nice detail that adds a lot of creative possibilities.

Cheers,
    Karl
    Thank you Karl!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Very nice, I really like how you highlighted the points of interest! Such a simple idea, but it works really well. I think the river has to be my favorite little detail, I love how you colored that. As for feedback, I'd have to second Wired's comment on the roof colors. Also a minor little detail, Gaul Falith has a corner that cuts into the wall in a way that looks a little out of place to me. A great little city, nice work!
    Thanks Kell! Yeah, the highlights were something I saw Steffen do on one of his maps, and thought it was a brilliant way to make the important buildings pop out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    That's a pretty map with nice subtle shadows and colors. You're developping a nice signature style here And I agree with kell about hte white outlines for the important buildings, brilliant idea with your style. I agree with the three comments by Sebastian. About the roofs, I use a base color and add variety by using black and whites on an overlay layer where I play with opacity. I sometimes add some greens or grey touches to emulate moss or lichen. Great job Daniël !
    What I did was pick to shades of brown (one lighter and one darker) and then turned the Color Dynamics option on with foreground/background jitter set to 100%. This way each brush stroke it a different colour between the two shades that I picked. Maybe I should have done another run around town and add some red-ish roofs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very fine map, as per usual, Daniel!
    Thanks Ilanthar!