Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nor-Medul

Map Nor-Medul

The Region of Nor-Medul

I'm thinking this area lies in the north eastern section of Algarn, in Nhyn.
    I'm a bit pressed for time, as I was trying to get this one in as my last map of 2018.
    So I don't have all the story stuff worked out for this little region.
    It was really just for fun when I started it.

It grew out of a mapvember 2018 map sketch and my increasing use of design markers for my own personal maps.
    I had posted this over on instagram a while back, without any labels.
    As a side note, I am making progress on the world map of Nhyn.
    That will help me to better collect up my story stuff and move forward with that.

Happy New Years everyone.
    Cheers, J

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nor-Medul by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	112378

Edit - a bit more thoughts..
    There are a lot of interesting stories that could happen in this region.
    I suspect the Guild of Quills will travel through this area, recording some of those tales.
    Many of the names have a very fairy tale flair, not unlike the lands of Trolnarm.

I have a region near Algarn that might be where Trolnarm is located.
    So maybe this is close by. Hopefully it will get sorted soon.
    Algarn is east of Haldeshar and north of Skenara, in Nhyn.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 06-10-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Well, it's unsurprisingly great ! And a very nice job with the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Well, it's unsurprisingly great ! And a very nice job with the colors.
    Thanks Ilanthar.
    I was a bit less satisfied with the colors, as compared to some of my other marker pieces, but it is ok.
    It was a bit harder for such a large region of greens without interruption of as much variation.
    Part of the problem may have been that I enlarged a very small sketch and didn't change it much after enlarging it.
    Lesson learned. ;P

I don't know, I quite enjoy the colors too. They are bit more saturated than your normal ones and I think that works. I'd love to see you branching out with them every once in a while, though, it's not like there is a rule that every hand-drawn map should have a realistic green-and-blue color scheme....

In any case, your lineart is as pleasant as it has always been. Here's to another year of great maps by you!!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I like the edge of the maps not cutting the land but having a ragged coast style cut. Very neat handwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I don't know, I quite enjoy the colors too. They are bit more saturated than your normal ones and I think that works. I'd love to see you branching out with them every once in a while, though, it's not like there is a rule that every hand-drawn map should have a realistic green-and-blue color scheme....

In any case, your lineart is as pleasant as it has always been. Here's to another year of great maps by you!!
    Thanks Kell
    I don't vary it quite as much, no.
    it's a quandary for illustrators - variety vs consistency.
    Art directors like consistency. The audience often likes variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I like the edge of the maps not cutting the land but having a ragged coast style cut. Very neat handwork.
    Thanks SK
    It's a fun way to do the edges.
    And that looser nature allows me to not have to do detailed borders. ;P

Splendid map J. I actually like the colors

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Yep, i have to agree, i also dig the colors quite a lot. It gives a comic-y feel to it...i could totally see that map in a fantasy comic somewhere.
    As always, it "breathes" atmosphere and it kicks my roleplayer heart into high gear ^^ But then again, not surprising, as your maps do that for me.

And did i hear WORLDMAP??!??? YES, PLEASE! ^^ Especially since this is the world where one of my all-time favorite maps comes from - Haldeshar. So yeah, extremely looking forward to that map.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I like the colors quite a bit, as well. My favorite part is the ocean - those are some evocative waves near the shore!

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Splendid map J. I actually like the colors

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thanks Karl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Yep, i have to agree, i also dig the colors quite a lot. It gives a comic-y feel to it...i could totally see that map in a fantasy comic somewhere.
    As always, it "breathes" atmosphere and it kicks my roleplayer heart into high gear ^^ But then again, not surprising, as your maps do that for me.

And did i hear WORLDMAP??!??? YES, PLEASE! ^^ Especially since this is the world where one of my all-time favorite maps comes from - Haldeshar. So yeah, extremely looking forward to that map.
    Thanks Eilathen
    I guess people like the color.
    Yep. It's a bit slow going, but yep - world map.
    I have to decide how much to show, as the story is tied up in the lands.
    And I haven't made decisions about all of the world yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I like the colors quite a bit, as well. My favorite part is the ocean - those are some evocative waves near the shore!
    Thanks jshoer
    I wanted to get a feel of crashing white water in there. Sort of rocky coastline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast