Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: *** February 2019 Challenge: Commission a Guilder ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** February 2019 Challenge: Commission a Guilder ***

This month's challenge will be a special one - you get to team up with another Guild member, and you'll challenge each other to commission a map of your own choosing. What you come up with as your commission is entirely up to you. You might challenge your partner to map the tomb complex of the Mummy King Akon-Ra, or a cross-section of an Elven tree city, or a tropical archipelago, or the territory of a galactic empire. You will have SIX WEEKS to partner up, think up commissions, and complete them. That's right, a month and a half. That's due to a number of things - the nature of the challenge itself, February being a short month, and the fact that I'm also trying to pay attention to the Atlas Award nominations threads. (Also, I'm starting a new job on Feb 19th, so I'll likely be distracted at the end of the month. ) So the challenge will run until the evening of Sunday, 17 March. There will be no March Challenge, instead there will be a recuperation period of a couple weeks, and then we'll return to our regular Challenges in April.

Each Challenge entry this month is its own entry. If you finish your map/commission but your partner doesn't finish theirs, that's okay - your map is still eligible for voting and winning that shiny Golden Compass. So to sum up: get in touch with someone you want to partner with, decide what each of you wants to challenge the other with, and go forth and map. The challenge will end around 9PM Pacific time on the evening of Sunday, 17 March. If you have any questions, post 'em here.

And please do not forget to label your threads like this: February 2019 Challenge: << your title would go here >>

Also, make sure you use the ### Latest WIP ### tag in front of each work-in-progress picture you post so the thumbnail scraper will pick up the image for display in the Current Challenge gallery.

TEAMS SO FAR:

ladiestorm/Domino
    Kellerica/DanielHasenbos
    Diamond/Voolf
    Ilanthar/Warlin
    Onirian/RenflowerGrapx
    Tonquani/aeshnidae
    Falconius/Tenia
    J.Edward/Thomas
    Tainotim/Beee
    Naima/Bogie
    Abu Lafia/Meshon
    Jaxilon/Ramah
    eViLe-eAgLe/Wingshaw
    kacey/-JO-
    Immolate/Adfor
    Chlodowch/MapMappingMapped
    Azelor/Greason Wolfe
    Chashio/Blaidd Drwg
    Last edited by Diamond; 02-11-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Alright, alright! Let's get this party started, people!

Me and Daniel will be joining forces, who else is in?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I am not sure I understood this, english is not my first language ...you team up with someone and compete against him? Or you work together on the same map/s? Or partnering is just to create different themes ? But then if themes are different how will be compared?

You partner up with someone, that someone tells you what kind of map you have to make (so, "commissioning" you in a sense), and you'll make the map they have requested of you. You, in turn, will give your partner a brief on what kind of map you want them to make.

I suppose the voting is a bit more up to personal taste; what finished maps you like the best, and how well do they manage to capture the brief given by their partner.

But yeah, I guess you will be competing against your partner.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 02-04-2019 at 05:11 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I suppose the voting is a bit more up to personal taste; what finished maps you like the best, and how well do they manage to capture the brief given by their partner.
    Yes. I should have made that a bit more clear.

I stated in the general forums that I'm returning, sort of, but I'm recovering from minor emergency surgery. Sitting for prolonged periods of time is still painful, but since we have an extra two weeks to finish this project, I think I can handle it. Besides, I need the distraction.

Problem is, I don't have a partner. Would anyone be willing to team up with me?
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I stated in the general forums that I'm returning, sort of, but I'm recovering from minor emergency surgery. Sitting for prolonged periods of time is still painful, but since we have an extra two weeks to finish this project, I think I can handle it. Besides, I need the distraction.

Problem is, I don't have a partner. Would anyone be willing to team up with me?
    I'd like to join this challenge, and I'd happily partner with you. Unfortunately, I think I have realistic expectations of my ability (or inability) to actually devote any time to the challenge. So I will sadly sit this one out. But I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

This is very interesting challange and i would like to take part in it.... the problem is i do not know if i will have time to finish the map. No problem if you just drop out in the middle of normal challange, but here... you will disappoint and fail your teammate...
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

hey Voolf, if I understand Diamond correctly, each map is judged individually, so not finishing your map doesn't reflect on your partner. I would be willing to partner with you. I may not be able to finish my map either, even with the six weeks, because I had surgery recently, and it's made sitting at my computer....difficult...for prolonged periods of time, and it's going to take me a while to recover. But I could use the distraction, it would allow me to push through the pain, if I had something to focus on, and I need to get back into mapping now that the holidays are over.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

I'm ready to get into this one again.
    Thomas contacted me last week about this one.
    So we'll be working together. Should be fun.
    This is such a great challenge.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast