Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beauty and the Beast

Map The Beauty and the Beast

Hey Guild !

Traditional step at the end of a challenge : here is my Beauty and the Beast map for the February/March 2019 Challenge : "Commission a Guilder".

I was challenged by Tainotim to map the village of the Disney movie "the Beauty and the Beast" and I choose a vertical layout as a reference to the stained-glass windows I enjoyed so much in the movie.
    One part of the request was to design a French village including the main locations of the movie : the fountain, the bakery, Belle's house, etc., but as Karl and I are not native English-Speakers, I decided to not include any labels on the map except the title (by the way, Karl, if you want a Swedish version, I can edit it for you ! ^^).
    I mixed both animated movie and the recent live action movie inspirations for the architecture and ornaments, and tried to add fun references and easter eggs everywhere

Usual things-to-say :
    - Roughly 18x44 centimeters 300dpi (posted here is the 150dpi version),
    - Hand drawn in Photoshop CC2019 using a Wacom Cintiq Pro 16,
    - WIP thread here.

Hope you'll enjoy ! ^^

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeautyAndTheBeast_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	114365

Don't forget to have a look to the splendid map Tainotim drew for me in the challenge here !

And if you're interested and would like to support me and help me to draw more personal projects, the Beauty & the Beast map is available on my InPRNT gallery !

Great job Beee
    It's such a gorgeous map.
    Love all the little people and creatures wandering around, inspecting the scene, no doubt.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

I can't rep you again so soon, it is a statement in and of itself.
    The map is GORGEOUS (!), really well done!
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I will use this map as a reference to study ... simply awesome .

Simply outstanding! Really impressive stuff MistyBee.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

Ah, see, now I feel bad... the only reason this map didn't get one of the few votes I used in the challenge was because it lacked a legend telling me where the bakers, blacksmith, bookseller etc. was. And now you say a reason...
    Tsk! Your English is fantastic btw so that is a poor excuse.

The map is beyond beautiful and fully deserved the win. Your work is inspiring and intimidating.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Great job Beee
    It's such a gorgeous map.
    Love all the little people and creatures wandering around, inspecting the scene, no doubt.
    Every one of them with its own tiny voice. People commenting "I wish this house have a tower", tiny-tiny geese asking "why don't you draw more of us ?", sheeps rambling something like "more flowers, more flowers please !", and of course the gentle pigs, just kindly smiling

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    I can't rep you again so soon, it is a statement in and of itself.
    The map is GORGEOUS (!), really well done!
    Aww, thanks so, so much, Steffen ! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I will use this map as a reference to study ... simply awesome .
    My biggest thanks, Naima ! I'm honored to be the subject of a study (as far as it's not about eating my brain ).

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Simply outstanding! Really impressive stuff MistyBee.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks for the kind words and support, Arsheesh ! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Ah, see, now I feel bad... the only reason this map didn't get one of the few votes I used in the challenge was because it lacked a legend telling me where the bakers, blacksmith, bookseller etc. was. And now you say a reason...
    Tsk! Your English is fantastic btw so that is a poor excuse.

The map is beyond beautiful and fully deserved the win. Your work is inspiring and intimidating.
    Haha, no problem ! The most important is you loved it ^^
    Actually, I knew I made some unconventional choices : no labels, weird 'hard-to-tumbnail' layout, etc., but hey, challenges are made to have fun and experiment new things, so it's exactly what I did ^^
    However my bad or not-that-bad English is not exactly the point. It's most about child memories. Most of us first saw the movie as kids and in our own native language and I think it's what remains. For example I know the horse is called "Philippe" in English, but for me it is and will always be "Philibert" from the French version, and I just feel weird to name it differently and wanted to keep the map as neutral as possible and please my French memory, Tainotim's Swedish one, and also all other English, Italian, Portugese, Hungarian, German, Japanese,... people of the Guild

Splendid work! Not the usual format indeed, but magical in every aspects.

It's interesting your reason for not adding labels, and I am completely fine with that! Part of my love of this particular map, was trying to determine (in my own imagination) which structure was Belle's house, and where the bookstore/library was, and which one was the baker, and the tavern, etc. This map allowed me to explore the village of my favorite fairytale, and become a part of it myself! A well deserved win, MistyBee!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Such a marvelous map ! No wonder it won over many other fabulous pieces What really amazes me is the talent you have with light. Where most artist shade their maps, you light them up and that's quite something. Chapeau bas, Madame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast