Thread: Project: Mapping Pohstililand

Wip Project: Mapping Pohstililand

Hi guys !

Just want to forward this by saying that this is such an amazing community and I've been really enjoying my time here so far ! Thank you all !

Now, since I feel like my Paragrousi Map is pretty much completed and the Renatia Map is just something on the side, I decided to start a new project revolving around the island of 'Pohstililand' which I drew a rough map of in my worldbuilding notebook a while ago.
    I want to expand upon this island and worldbuild with maps as the main tool, which is something I've dabbled in here and there before, but I want to go all out with this island.

Bellow is an approcimation of where Pohstililand will be on Tharr (my conworld) as well as Pohstililand's modern flag
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pohstililand Location.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	311.6 KB 
ID:	113715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pohstililand.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	113718

I decided that Pohstililand will be an island nation off the coast of Arinstiar (the continent's shape is still a WIP, and has been for 6 years, can never seem to get it right ) and will be relatively remote, at least compared to the Cycondrilacs (inhabitants of the continent Cycondrill, the main focus of my conworld). Culturally, it will be quite different from Cycondrill too, but I will have to expand upon that later in the project.

Below is how Pohstililand appeared in my notes (left) and my current progress in mapping it (right). This will be the first (of many) maps of the island, and this one is in the same style as my map of Velucea. No locations on there yet.

Name:	Pohstililand Draft.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	113716 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	71 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	113717

What I'm hoping to do next is complete the coloured map with the major cities, named landmarks and geographical features and possibly rivers. After that map I might experiment with either a Medieval-like-map, or a 17th century-esque map of the island. Both will allow me to expand upon the worldbuilding, either with Coat of Arms and little bits of text here and there (from the 17th and 18th century maps I have they seem to write alot of stuff here there and everywhere )

Can't wait to continue with this, hope people like it Thank you all
    Last edited by Rubikia; 02-22-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ryan Pourchot's Avatar

Great work man!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I've had the free time to do any extra work on this map, but since I finished some stressful essays tonight, I had time to do some extra mapping !

Now, I haven't done that much work on the original Pohstililand map, I've added some names and roads, however I'm not convinced that the roads are really fitting in....

Views:	54 
Size:	449.3 KB 
ID:	114181

BUT ! I have fulfilled what I said I would do, worldbuilding in maps ! First one here is a map of the trading outposts on Pohstililand c. 6th Millennium showcasing the precense of Qan-Sians from Arinstiar, Donbilians and Monbilians from Cycondrill, and the Mesenari from Mese, all seeking the rich minerals found in the islands mountains....

Name:	Pohstililand Trading Ports.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	114183

I intend to soon make a map that shows the extent of the Mesenari precense in the Middle Ages, such as showing which Mesenari Houses were on the island (I'm thinking mainly Razadomus ), and maybe even work on the heraldry of island locations.

Would love to know you guys' opinions !
    Last edited by Rubikia; 03-14-2019 at 07:19 PM.

I love your geographical lore, as well as the heraldry. I am very intrigued to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Pourchot View Post
    I love your geographical lore, as well as the heraldry. I am very intrigued to see more.
    Thank you Ryan ! I had time to work on an addition to the previous map that shows which Mesenari Houses controlled which territory, and on it is some Mesenari Heraldry too !

Name:	Pohstililand Mesenaripng.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	114203

There are six main Mesenari Houses present on Pohstililand in the Middle Ages: Cordomus, Razadomus, Talordomus, Toldomus, Vardomus and Zalodomus. One thing to note is that these houses are from Mesenach, the eastern-most island of Mese which is largely ruled over by House Cor. Vardomus is the exeption, being a relatively minor house from Mesener. (Maybe I'll have to make amap showing where all these houses are from on Mese, could be interesting if people wanted to see that)

In the Middle Ages, the Mesenari Colony on Pohstililand had its capital at Saatu, however over time due to its central location, Minalni became its capital, as seen in the modern map.

This Mesenari Colony was part of the Cordomus domain, as was many other colonies across the western coast of Sauset, just south of Pohstililand (they actually retained some of these colonies well into the modern age, most notably CPAT). Cordomus control on the southern regions of the island wavered as other countries began to build trading posts on the island, as well as when the native Pohstili people began to resist their control. When Mese, and in turn House Cor, was engulfed in war towards the end of the Middle Ages, the colony was somewhat left to its own devices.

Despite not being too far away from Pohstililand, Qan-Sia did not have any presence on the island in the Middle Ages, mainly due to the fact that the empire had been split up into three rival states (the Ruby Empire, Golden Empire and Silver Empire).

Thank you all for taking a look
    Last edited by Rubikia; 03-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Though I know this isn't a map of Pohstililand, I think it's pretty important for this project anyway. I've completed another draft of the continent of Arinstiar, which Pohstililand is part of. Now, throughout my years of work on this conworld, I have never, literally never, been able to draw the coastlines of Arinstiar to my liking, so I am quite happy with how its looking now. Very soon I will be adding the national borders to the continent, including placing Pohstililand in its place off the coast of north-western Arinstiar.

Here are my 2019 drafts of Arinstiar, Draft 1 (Left) appears on the globe I posted earlier, and Draft 2 (right) is my new (and hopefully improved) version of the continent.

Name:	Arinstiar Draft1.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	114447 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arinstiar Draft2.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	114448

I would love it if anybody could share their opinions on the coastlines, as I am very keen on getting this continent to look right , something doesn't seem right about it, but I can't put my fingure on it...critique or any other comments would be much appreciated

Thanks !

EDIT: I did some more work on it and changed the south of Arinstiar...hopefully its better? I'm really not sure at this point

Name:	Arinstiar Draft3.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	114450
    Last edited by Rubikia; 03-24-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Are the creature that inhabit this land, human, orc, elf, humanoid species you’ve created yourself. Just curious, map looks cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Creativetides View Post
    Are the creature that inhabit this land, human, orc, elf, humanoid species you’ve created yourself. Just curious, map looks cool though.
    Humans are definitely the main inhabitants of Pohstililand, and by the modern era, the inhabitants of Pohstililand were the descendants of peoples from Mese and Arinstiar, with a minority with Cycondrilac ancestry.

Humans weren't the native inhabitants of Pohstililand, instead, when humans first came ashore they found it to be the island-home of many reclusive pucas, and inadvertently introduced goblins when some inevitably escaped their enclosures (goblins were pretty much used as slave race by most humans and largely used in warfare). While pucas do not have definitive centres of occupation, the goblins were moved into the Rehilim Mountains, where goblinoid reservations were created in the modern era.

Thanks for the question

Fantastic lore Rubikia! Are Pucas still present? or were they wiped out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Pourchot View Post
    Are Pucas still present? or were they wiped out?
    Pucas still live on the island, but their population is nowhere near as high as it used to be. This has thought to be for a number of reasons, such as environmental pollution and human urban expansion. Some have even theorised that feral goblins may have carried out a genocide.... Furthermore, pucas were never really encouraged in the traditional manners like elsewhere in the world (e.g. leave out milk or cream for them, and in return the pucas do good deeds to maintain your household), so the pucas of Pohstililand never had any real relations with humans there, and because of this it has been increasingly hard for researchers to document or observe native puca populations.

Thanks for the question !

An update on the location of Pohstililand, I have added the island to the map of Arinstiar (it has a big red circle around it) so now I can hopefully integrate Pohstililand in the wider world (wars, international relations, trade etc.) the large amount of countries is intentional, I might decrease....but hopefully it all looks alright

Name:	Arinstiar Draft5.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	114487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arinstiar Draft4.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	564.5 KB 
ID:	114488

(On the right is a map showing the borders/member states of the Federated States of Eastern Arinstiar (FSEA), a sort of an EU with much more authority over its members...not really much to do with Pohstililand, just something extra I'm working on so thought to include it )
    Last edited by Rubikia; 03-26-2019 at 08:39 AM.