Thread: Rooftop Living

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Default Rooftop Living

My completed map for the February 2018 challenge, “Commission a Guilder.” Tonquani’s commission was as follows: “A zombie apocalypse (or something similar) has happened – there seem to be rather a lot of these around at the moment… A small group has managed to barricade themselves onto the roofs of a group of high-rise buildings and establish some sort of colony/settlement there – including growing food, raising livestock, etc. They have built walkways between the various buildings, so that they never have to go down to the ground where the zombies lurk.

Perspective: This is probably the most important – I would like an extreme three-point perspective specifically showing great height above the ground.

Colours: No specifics apart from it being drab and dark below – some sort of black mist on the ground may be an idea if you want – and probably makes it easier in that you won’t need to draw loads of detail on the ground. The roofs themselves should be quite colourful in contrast
    .”

This is the most artistically challenging thing I've ever done. I scrapped three versions before hitting on this one. I went back and re-read the commission and this time it made me think of The Walking Dead comics; as soon as the comic book idea hit, I knew it was the right style for the extreme three-point perspective (which I thought of as "Spiderman's perspective"). I was able to work in the farms, apiary (my substitute for livestock), walkways between buildings, some additional color on the rooftops, and the mist.

WIP thread is here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zombie Rooftops v14 (sm).jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	5.56 MB 
ID:	114609

Find me on
    DeviantArt

This was a very fun and original entry.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Zombie-Man! Zombie-Man! Does whatever a zombie can!
    Eats my brain...

Eh, it's a short song.

You definitely nailed the atmostphere here ! I love you you can just gimpse the streets at the bottom

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    This was a very fun and original entry.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks, Arsheesh! Once I got past the "wow, I really suck at this perspective!" phase, it was a lot of fun to create.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Zombie-Man! Zombie-Man! Does whatever a zombie can!
    Eats my brain...

Eh, it's a short song.
    Zombies aren't much for making up song lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    You definitely nailed the atmostphere here ! I love you you can just gimpse the streets at the bottom
    Thanks! I would have liked to have done a touch more on the streets but time was not on my side.

Find me on
    DeviantArt

A very fine and original map! I like the perspective & style.