Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kell's Dream Insanity

Map Kell's Dream Insanity

My dearest guildmates! Long time no map post! About time to remedy that.

A little backstory for this one, in case somebody is interested (I apologize in advance, this is likely to get a bit tangenty but bear with me):

I've always been fascinated by my dreams. My subconscious probably reflects my goofy brain all too well, as my dreams are usually a flurry of shapes, sounds, colors, characters and places, a restless stream that never settles and is always shifting and evolving into something new. They are, shortly put, a massive mess. Yet, sometimes some interesting fragments of concepts and even storylines emerge, and when they do, they tend to be highly inspiring. Given how messy the dreams themselves are, I still have to dig through heaps and heaps of sheer madness to get to the actually noteworthy bits, but once I do, they can be insanely cool.

This is based on a dream I had a few nights ago. After I struggled myself awake in order to jot down every detail I could remember, I soon noticed that from the fragments I could put together the bare bones of a surprisingly solid storyline. The setting is what stuck with me the most, though, and I immediately knew I wanted to map it.

I tried to be as faithful as I could to the dream, and it has been strange experience doing this. Even though I couldn't remember more than a handful of details (and my subconscious is blissfully above the restraints of physics or space, so figuring out where something is in relation to something else is almost impossible), I constantly had this feeling that I was more discovering this map than coming up with it. When placing things, some just... felt more right than others, and there were a few instances where I wanted to put something in because it would look better, but then realized that it simply was not supposed to be there.

I'm so sorry, I know I'm rambling even more than usual, but this has been a weird/awesome couple of days and I wanted to share my experience. This is the by far the most inspired I have been in months, I've had so much fun brainstorming this further, and I think I may have a new long-term story project at my hands now. And all because my brain went berserk while I slept. These are the somewhat rare times when I'm pretty glad to be me.

This is obviously a part of a much larger realm and also map, which is why I decided to go for a torn look, as if someone has just ripped the part of the map that was relevant to them and stuffed it in their pocket. I couldn't resist the urge to add in a little story content once I got going, so here you have two versions: the one with the story tidbits, and one with just the map (because let's face it, that is why we are here).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Story_version_2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	115675 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bare_map_2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	115676

Once again, so sorry about the ramble. It's good to be mapping again, and it was fun trying out this kind of style.

Edit: Added updated versions, as there was a weird blotch of black on one of the hills that was driving me insane.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 05-28-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Very cool map! Unfortunately when I do remember my dreams they are far too whack to ever be able to make a map out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Very cool map! Unfortunately when I do remember my dreams they are far too whack to ever be able to make a map out of them.
    Thanks! Yeah, I can't say it happens that often to me either, but sometimes I get lucky!

Ramble it is but I it carries your enthusiasm which is thrilling I love the top down view and the added notes are a great touch. You managed to pull of a great map without coast and it's not an easy feat. I'm looking forward to the next developments of this dreamy landscape

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Ramble it is but I it carries your enthusiasm which is thrilling
    You sure you don't just mean weird?

I love the top down view and the added notes are a great touch. You managed to pull of a great map without coast and it's not an easy feat. I'm looking forward to the next developments of this dreamy landscape
    Thank you. And I am too!

This is nifty to say the least! I enjoy the simply named elements and the backstory very much so, you left a lot for one to ponder with the mysterious cues. I think it could be a great start to a story!

Dreams are always hit or miss for me, I either don't dream at all, or they're very lucid, and chances are I don't remember them. Many amusement park dreams though, I've been told I need to set aside more time to relax.

Anyhoo, more please!

Such a pleasure to see you back, Kell, and especially with this cool new idea. And what are we seeing ? A city plan !!
    Hope we'll see more about this soon !

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    My dearest guildmates! Long time no map post! About time to remedy that.

A little backstory for this one, in case somebody is interested (I apologize in advance, this is likely to get a bit tangenty but bear with me):

I've always been fascinated by my dreams. My subconscious probably reflects my goofy brain all too well, as my dreams are usually a flurry of shapes, sounds, colors, characters and places, a restless stream that never settles and is always shifting and evolving into something new. They are, shortly put, a massive mess. Yet, sometimes some interesting fragments of concepts and even storylines emerge, and when they do, they tend to be highly inspiring. Given how messy the dreams themselves are, I still have to dig through heaps and heaps of sheer madness to get to the actually noteworthy bits, but once I do, they can be insanely cool.

This is based on a dream I had a few nights ago. After I struggled myself awake in order to jot down every detail I could remember, I soon noticed that from the fragments I could put together the bare bones of a surprisingly solid storyline. The setting is what stuck with me the most, though, and I immediately knew I wanted to map it.

I tried to be as faithful as I could to the dream, and it has been strange experience doing this. Even though I couldn't remember more than a handful of details (and my subconscious is blissfully above the restraints of physics or space, so figuring out where something is in relation to something else is almost impossible), I constantly had this feeling that I was more discovering this map than coming up with it. When placing things, some just... felt more right than others, and there were a few instances where I wanted to put something in because it would look better, but then realized that it simply was not supposed to be there.

I'm so sorry, I know I'm rambling even more than usual, but this has been a weird/awesome couple of days and I wanted to share my experience. This is the by far the most inspired I have been in months, I've had so much fun brainstorming this further, and I think I may have a new long-term story project at my hands now. And all because my brain went berserk while I slept. These are the somewhat rare times when I'm pretty glad to be me.

This is obviously a part of a much larger realm and also map, which is why I decided to go for a torn look, as if someone has just ripped the part of the map that was relevant to them and stuffed it in their pocket. I couldn't resist the urge to add in a little story content once I got going, so here you have two versions: the one with the story tidbits, and one with just the map (because let's face it, that is why we are here).

Once again, so sorry about the ramble. It's good to be mapping again, and it was fun trying out this kind of style.

Edit: Added updated versions, as there was a weird blotch of black on one of the hills that was driving me insane.
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a dream!!!!!!!! And what a map!!!!!!!!! Fantastic in every way!

Your experience is quite captivating and I thank you for sharing it with us.
    It is a truly mysterious dream, which gives rise to a story that we would like to read on (and discover the details).
    But above all, the map is absolutely magnificent: you have completely changed your style and you have completely mastered this new way of drawing. It shows a real talent!
    I love this aspect, which is at the same time very precise, very real, but also a little "nebulous", which corresponds well to the notion of dream: whether it is for forests, mountains, plains, it looks very good!
    If I'm not mistaken, it's also one of the first times you've ever made a city? Is that right? It's very good too!
    And then, finally, congratulations on the way you drew the names: it's both very present, but also very light, very subtle. It fits perfectly into the landscape.... Wonderful work!

I also understand a little bit of what you're going through: sometimes I also have images that come up in my dreams, mainly places that don't exist, but that I can describe very precisely when I wake up. I've already drawn some of them... a strange feeling of having visited these places when I've never really been there and I've never seen them in pictures or movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    This is nifty to say the least! I enjoy the simply named elements and the backstory very much so, you left a lot for one to ponder with the mysterious cues. I think it could be a great start to a story!

Dreams are always hit or miss for me, I either don't dream at all, or they're very lucid, and chances are I don't remember them. Many amusement park dreams though, I've been told I need to set aside more time to relax.

Anyhoo, more please!

Thank you, I'm glad you think so! I seriously think this could turn into A Thing. Amusement park dreams, huh? Interesting. I don't think I've ever dreamed of something that realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Such a pleasure to see you back, Kell, and especially with this cool new idea. And what are we seeing ? A city plan !!
    Hope we'll see more about this soon !
    Thanks, B, it's good to be back! Yeah, don't expect a new city all that soon, getting this thing down was... not fun, to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a dream!!!!!!!! And what a map!!!!!!!!! Fantastic in every way!

Your experience is quite captivating and I thank you for sharing it with us.
    It is a truly mysterious dream, which gives rise to a story that we would like to read on (and discover the details).
    But above all, the map is absolutely magnificent: you have completely changed your style and you have completely mastered this new way of drawing. It shows a real talent!
    I love this aspect, which is at the same time very precise, very real, but also a little "nebulous", which corresponds well to the notion of dream: whether it is for forests, mountains, plains, it looks very good!
    If I'm not mistaken, it's also one of the first times you've ever made a city? Is that right? It's very good too!
    And then, finally, congratulations on the way you drew the names: it's both very present, but also very light, very subtle. It fits perfectly into the landscape.... Wonderful work!

I also understand a little bit of what you're going through: sometimes I also have images that come up in my dreams, mainly places that don't exist, but that I can describe very precisely when I wake up. I've already drawn some of them... a strange feeling of having visited these places when I've never really been there and I've never seen them in pictures or movies.
    Thank you so much, man, this comment really made my day! I'm so happy you seem to like it! The dreamlike nebulous aspect was very much what I was going for, so I'm glad it carries over.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I get the same thing not only from dreams, but just imaginary places in general, I have extremely clear mental images of places only described in books I've read. It really is a bit odd being able to so clearly remember something that does not exist, I'll have to agree with you on that.

Very nice and also a different style! The layout and design is great, the colors spot on (and not so dark )
    I envy you... I never recall my dreams except on rare occasions (and it's still too ephemeral).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast