Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silberhall (City map)

Map Silberhall (City map)

Hi everyone! It's been a little while since being here, I wish I could be more active all the time but life keeps me busy! I hope that I will be able to participate in a Guild challenge in a month or two when things slow down for me!

On another note I just finished up a big city map commission for a German RPG gaming group (the third map I've done for them). It was a lot of fun but also a lot of work for this since I haven't done a lot of city mapping. I learned a lot along this project as well.

My client asked for a full color version as well as a B&W one. I always love doing both but often times I feel conflicted about which version I like better...

As always feel free to comment with critique or let me know which version you like better!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silberhall.final.1.png 
Views:	295 
Size:	9.14 MB 
ID:	116674

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silberhall.B&W.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	5.26 MB 
ID:	116673

Beautiful work on this Domino. I love the colors in this piece. And it's nice how each district has its own unique flavor. One thing I noticed however was that the district labels are a bit difficult to read, especially when zoomed out. Otherwise love it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great work! And nice to see you around again with a new map.

I like the layout of the city a lot, and like Arsh I enjoy the tones in the colored version. The temple at number 20. has to be my favorite detail, I love how that looks!
    I'm not completely sold on the wavelines surrounding the coasts, I've always felt those work better with isometric rather than top-down type of maps. The compass rose also looks pretty pixelated at 100%.

All in all, a nice map. Congrats on pulling it off, I know how much pain city maps can be when you are not used to making them, as someone who practically never does!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I always have a special crush for city maps. There's a lot of work on this one for sure, and the two versions are nice : I would have some hard time to choose one

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

So much work, so much patience... and such a beautiful result ! Congratulations !

"Die schimmelnde Eichel" sounds like a lovely place.
    (Especially if you understand the German double entendre. )

I have a default setting to "profound respect" when I see a city map as it seems I'm not able to think them straight but yours is well thought and beautiful ! Great job Domino !

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Beautiful work on this Domino. I love the colors in this piece. And it's nice how each district has its own unique flavor. One thing I noticed however was that the district labels are a bit difficult to read, especially when zoomed out. Otherwise love it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you Arsheesh! Labeling is probably the thing I struggle with the most, so it's something i'm still working on getting better at!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Great work! And nice to see you around again with a new map.

I like the layout of the city a lot, and like Arsh I enjoy the tones in the colored version. The temple at number 20. has to be my favorite detail, I love how that looks!
    I'm not completely sold on the wavelines surrounding the coasts, I've always felt those work better with isometric rather than top-down type of maps. The compass rose also looks pretty pixelated at 100%.

All in all, a nice map. Congrats on pulling it off, I know how much pain city maps can be when you are not used to making them, as someone who practically never does!
    Thank you!
    I don't love the wave lines around the coast but it's something my client asked for. I did notice the compass it was the same compass I had used for his other maps and I didn't have time to update the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    I always have a special crush for city maps. There's a lot of work on this one for sure, and the two versions are nice : I would have some hard time to choose one
    Thanks misty! It took a lot of time but I'm really happy I did it, I learned so much! Next time I don't think it will take as long.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    So much work, so much patience... and such a beautiful result ! Congratulations !
    Thanks JO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
    "Die schimmelnde Eichel" sounds like a lovely place.
    (Especially if you understand the German double entendre. )
    all the names were given to me from my client so I haven't actually thought on it

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I have a default setting to "profound respect" when I see a city map as it seems I'm not able to think them straight but yours is well thought and beautiful ! Great job Domino !
    Thanks Thomas! I am really happy with the results on this as well!

The map looks frickin' fantastic! May I please ask a complete newbie question: Do you draw the roads first and then place the buildings around those?

Great map, Domino! The layout is excellent, the line art great (some of those buildings are intriguing).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast