Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: village of Formene

Map village of Formene

Ok, now that I have the finished map thread for Greyvast out of the way,
    Here's the village of Formene. I'm going to do this in two posts due to how the forum sees thumbnails.
    If i post them all in this post, it gets messed up. I still have some messed up preview thumbs for map threads in finished maps.

Anyways, this map followed on from the Greyvast map.
    After completing that, I was sketchign some locations around Greyvast and did a small drawing of a top down village of Formene.
    I'll show that in the next post, along with where Formene is in Greyvast.
    But first, a bit of story background.

Village of Formene

In the lands of Greyvast, a realm near to the borders of Night and the far expanses of Grizhnor, is a village that sits deep in the Llani Forsests region.
    That forest is one of the last borders between the Hundrun region and the broken realm, which is itself losing ground to the slow creep of the desolation of DuSu.

The village of Formene is at a crossroads between many regions. It sits on a raised plot of rock at the southern end of a swath of highland, out in the sea of trees.
    As the name implies, this village is populated by men of the south who were pushed northward over time by the by the relentless destruction of their homes and lands over generations.
    Formene was one of the earliest settlements that the people of the Hundrun [various elven Hundin] approved of, and even aided in various ways.

Which was unusual as the Hundin are a wild and natural people who live directly with the rough and rugged lands of Greyvast.
    They are not primitives, but could be seen as such by those who do not know them better.
    Highly knowledgeable and skilled, the Hundin choose this life. Everyday.
    They are capable of city building and could raise a spectacular empire if they saw fit, but they do not see value in such things.

The men from the south are the Remnant ofSolis, the Rimses and the Solren.
    They are not the only men in Greyvast, but they are rumored to be the only "civilized" men.

At it's origin, Formene was a meeting place, on high ground, at a crossroads. The forests of Llani are vast and wild. And they are dangerous.
    Without a guide, travelers would be led astray, if not become a meal for the myriad of hungry ones out in the mists.
    And travelers must know, the green is not their friend. Or not all of it, at any rate. Nor even some of the stone beneath their feet.
    Strange forces are at work here.
    Strange and powerful.

And that is the setting where Formene sits; a comfortable illusion of civility in a dangerous sea of leaf and mist, stone and shadows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village of Formene by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	1927 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	119339

Have a great week and great Christmas. Cheers, J
    Last edited by J.Edward; 12-16-2019 at 02:51 PM.

ok. Here's the little map that spawned the larger piece..

Name:	Greyvast - Formene.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	580.4 KB 
ID:	119340

It was really just a very small drawing that I did a bit with in PS.

And here's sort of what motivated that...

Name:	Greyvast - Formene crop.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	119341

And I guess a bit of a pan out is in order to see where that sits..

Name:	Greyvast zoom.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	931.7 KB 
ID:	119342
    Last edited by J.Edward; 12-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Looks fantastic. You got the perspective right on even with all of the individual perspective changes, and I noticed you used a third point and it really adds a nice sense of height and depth to the piece.

When I play a TTRPG, my favorite way of playing is the sandbox and I'll be damned if this is not it ! The Greyvast map was a marvel and seeing it develop like this ... it's amazing ! And the shading/lighting keeps getting better and better

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Looks fantastic. You got the perspective right on even with all of the individual perspective changes, and I noticed you used a third point and it really adds a nice sense of height and depth to the piece.
    Thanks Falconius
    This one just sort of came together.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    When I play a TTRPG, my favorite way of playing is the sandbox and I'll be damned if this is not it ! The Greyvast map was a marvel and seeing it develop like this ... it's amazing ! And the shading/lighting keeps getting better and better
    Thanks Thomas
    Yeah, this is probably the most open and direct that my world building stuff has ever been.
    I suppose because it's all new and in the moment.
    Not something long planned out and hidden away here at home. ;P

As I said on DA, it's super pretty. I love this sort of worldbuilding - it's very enchanting.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Oh wow... That change of perspective... those trees... cliffs... buildings... shading...
    G.'s work, once again !

Another excellent map, John. Still can't rep from the last time.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    As I said on DA, it's super pretty. I love this sort of worldbuilding - it's very enchanting.
    Thanks Larb
    This has been one of the most organic and freeform world building projects for me.
    I usually am more ... forceful ? maybe, in how I approach it.
    I think the random generator is great for getting you into another way of doing things. Or can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh wow... That change of perspective... those trees... cliffs... buildings... shading...
    G.'s work, once again !
    Thanks Beee
    This is getting easier, though it is still very challenging.
    Matching things from top dawn to perspective takes more time than I'd like.
    But, the results are always worth the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Another excellent map, John. Still can't rep from the last time.

Wingshaw
    Thanks George
    No worries.

Looks great John, Wicked Cool having both views!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast