Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cartographers' Guild Map

Default The Cartographers' Guild Map

Hey Guild !

I usually don't post my challenge maps before the end of the month, but have to make an exception here. Not a bad idea to have everything well sorted and organised before we jump on another year, uh ? ^^

For the November/December challenge, J. regaled us with a very open theme : showing a map of the Great Library of the Scribes in the Kingdom of the Cartographer, on a scroll or old parchment. "Capture the spirit of the Guild, as you see it, and put it on a map", he said, and immediately popped in my mind a plan of the Guild, partly based on the forum's rooms, also adding some elements related to the Guild and its wonderful spirit, and a few hidden easter eggs about things which matters for me here.
    I had the biggest pleasure to create the buildings, think about how the different rooms are connected to eachothers, think about the eclectic architecture supposed to reflect the countless influences and origins of all the members of the Guild.
    I tried my best to show on the map not only the Guild itself, but also some of the people who work hard to make it a wonderful, warm and welcoming place, and a general idea of what actually is map making. Everyone hate those endless forests. Everyone already struggled with a border refusing to fit with the map it's supposed to frame, etc. I do hope I didn't missed important things or people, but on the bottom center is an empty coat of arms for all those who participate, make the forum alive, and help us to share our passion.
    There's a lot of text on this old parchment, which is on purpose : both the Guild and map making are about writing, communicating, archiving text, ideas, knowledge... If you're into worldbuilding, you know what I'm talking about ^^
    Last words are for thanking J.Edward, who helped me to understand some mysterious secrets of the Guild, and who corrected and enhanced the text.

Usual things-to-say :
    - Roughly 47x66 centimeters,
    - Hand drawn in Photoshop CC2020 using a Wacom Cintiq pro 16,
    - WIP thread here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapOfTheGuild_by_Mistybeee.jpg 
Views:	1364 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	119550

And if ever you're interested, prints of the map are available on my InPRNT gallery

Hope you'll love the map, and thank you all for making the Guild that awesome !

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Magnifique comme d'habitude, Misty.

And Coat of arms motto's highly accurate for most of our maps.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

This is so, so beautiful! I love the details, the perspective. I especially love the details on the center structure. Wonderful!
    Twitter: @mirandaleiggi
    Instagram: mira_artstuff

Guild Adept

C'est sublime!!! Just a totally amazing map <3 <3 <3

I've already gushed all over this in the WIP thread, so I won't bother repeating myself too much here. You know how much I love this.

You just captured the spirit of this place so perfectly, it makes my heart melt a bit. I really think this should be featured on the forum's main page somehow.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

That is stunning. Wow.

Wow Misty, this is just absolutely stunning. Your work is always so beautiful and I love the theme you went with for the map.

- Josh

Just a grand piece of work Bee. Hopefully this one will show up on your print store someday?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Beautiful, complicated, and yet well ordered. Love the parchment and old world feel. Truly Excellent stuff!

I also enjoyed the old world parchment effect you gave to this as well as the guide lines extending and the writing which does in fact remind me quite well of an antique I have from my family name complete with seals and so on. Well done.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast