Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teacup's Atlas

Guild Member Facebook Connected sarawinter's Avatar

Wip Teacup's Atlas

This is the beginning of my attempt to map Teacup's world... starting with an atlas

I decided to use an old globe I had that was gathering dust on top of my bookshelf in my livingroom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200403_012207.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	121321

Name:	20200403_012218.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	121322

The continents are based on this sketch.

Name:	20200403_012230.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	121323

I used the longitudes to guide me when copying it over to the globe, hence all of the lines.

What do you think?

(Edit 1: I dont know how to remove attached thumbnails they are turned in the wrong direction)
    (Edit 2: I figured it out!)
    Last edited by sarawinter; 09-10-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added images

I'd like to start by pointing out to myself that that is not an atlas, it's a globe!

I actually spent quite a lot of time researching tectonic plates and how they move when designing this map. If you look closely at my sketch you can see the little arrows.

I have not worked any more on this project since I uploaded the first images, but I will try to get some work done on it this weekend. I will also attach the resources I used for making the tectonic plates and a little more about what I was thinking when I made the globe to start with.

I am considering making the globe topographical...
    Something like this:

Name:	x_rwOrEBJyGRnZfwh4qCF29ip68XRWgf3QmNE1uxhcU.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	691.9 KB 
ID:	124904

...but I'm not quite sure what would be the best material to use.

Papier-mâché maybe? That seems a little messy to me though. If you have any ideas, please share them with me

This is wonderful Sara! I had a lot of fun working on my globe project. If you haven't seen them yet, the old threads are in the "Original Cartography Threads" part of this link: https://linktr.ee/veridianworldcrafters

I hope this will help you out! Looks like a great start, long way to go! Keep it up!

~Seth

Guild Journeyer

You can use Fimo : soft clay, with every color you could need if you don't want to paint it after. You can work on it during a long time. Inconvenient : you have to heat it for make it hard

If you don't want to heat, you can use cold procelain clay : it hardens in open air

Both are quite easy to use, you can sculpt it with toothpick or any sculpting tools

Using regular Acrylic paint with a Texture Gel mixed into it adds the right amount of details for an accurate scale. Femo is good for a stylized version, since you're on a smaller globe you'll get a bigger difference between the features and the globe. Femo would take a lot longer to get good details.
    Last edited by Vigilus; 09-12-2020 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post
    This is wonderful Sara! I had a lot of fun working on my globe project. If you haven't seen them yet, the old threads are in the "Original Cartography Threads" part of this link: https://linktr.ee/veridianworldcrafters

I hope this will help you out! Looks like a great start, long way to go! Keep it up!

~Seth
    That is awesome! Really great idea and it looks real good too

Quote Originally Posted by Bindusara View Post
    You can use Fimo : soft clay, with every color you could need if you don't want to paint it after. You can work on it during a long time. Inconvenient : you have to heat it for make it hard

If you don't want to heat, you can use cold procelain clay : it hardens in open air

Both are quite easy to use, you can sculpt it with toothpick or any sculpting tools
    I have used fimo before, not on a project like this though. Not sure if I want to put the globe in the oven.
    But I will absolutely look into porcelain clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post
    Using regular Acrylic paint with a Texture Gel mixed into it adds the right amount of details for an accurate scale. Femo is good for a stylized version, since you're on a smaller globe you'll get a bigger difference between the features and the globe. Femo would take a lot longer to get good details.
    I have done a lot of painting with acrylics, that could be a good way to go for me
    I used Texture Gel for another project a long time ago. Seems like a good solution

When I was opening a hotel in New York City and the newborn baby was asleep, I'd unwind at the end of the day with some painting on the globe. A little bit each day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast