Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The City of Poh

Map The City of Poh

I was surprised to realize I had never posted this map as a finished map.
    So, rectifying that now. It was a cool addition to Nahadua.
    The wip thread is a fun one too, so check that out for ridiculous stories about cheese.

Anyways, here's the story text about Poh...
    This is the city of Poh, in northern Nehue region, deep in the Pavahanue river valley.
    Here's regional view for context...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World - Nahadua [crop1].jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	122293

The city sits on an ancient raised plateau. One cannot truly call that plateau man-made as it was not made by man, though it is artificial.
    The city itself is ancient but rests on the bones of an even more ancient site from mythic antiquity.
    It is believed to have been one of the only known establishments of an above ground manifestation of Nekral civilization.
    The large stone work and massive megaliths point to some powerful culture of vast strength and age.
    Aside from the plateau, there are remnants of other stone works scattered throughout the city and on its edges.

The city's origins, where man is concerned, started with the site of the Iyipoh monastery which was much smaller in antiquity.
    Just a few scattered dwellings and a small orchard. The city grew over many centuries as it became a place of pilgrimage.
    Over time the style of river farming grew up and greatly increased the city's ability to sustain a larger population.
    The fields utilize a method of sluice gates to control flooding of the inner fields, which then also maintain populations of fish and other water life in the fields, which contributes to an even more fertile growing capacity. The structures are all of stone and a very gummy river mud that dries hard to an almost stone like quality.
    Roofs are thatched with a unique type of brush that grows in the area and has the odd quality of being non-flammable.
    Some attribute this rare plant to the proposed influence of the Nekral civilization believed to have existed here long ago.

A small harbor serves the limited trade purposes and also for those arriving on pilgrimage to the city.
    The large structure of the Ranhanamah holds the cities relics and serves as the seat of its communal leadership.
    It has also served as protection from enemies in the past, though with the city's increase it can no longer contain all the inhabitants.

The City of Poh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Poh by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	122294

Ah, remembering the fun days of the Guildworld project
    It was a cheesy time, as I recall. ;P
    Cheers, J

Fantastic work John!!

Any plans to colour it?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Totally awesome!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Absolutely insane detail as always! I love the wagon track roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Any plans to colour it?
    Muhahahahahahaha !

You know I love it Thanks for sharing.

Very cool!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Every time you post one of these B&W city maps, it make me want to jump headfirst into one myself! The detail and imagination in it is fantastic!

Allways in awe when i saw one of your map J. There is so much background lore behind every pencil stroke you make.

Deliciously crazy. So many streets, and fascinating details. Another wonder

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Splendid !!!!!

I find it so hard to make a city map that's so special ! Who else could pull it out so brilliantly ?

All these elements, all these buildings ! And the dynamics of the city plan !

Congratulations and thanks for sharing !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast