Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sept '20 Lite Challenge: The Fissuring

Pretty cool!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The corner icons are schweet!! Nice work.
    Totes ma'galotes!

If I may make on suggestion, I feel like it would be really cool to add some super small details of rocks or things falling into the fissure. Like, show some bits here and there that have cracked off the edge and are tumbling to the depths. Not much, mind you, as I don't think it would do to draw attention to such details, but I feel like a few tiny little specks spinning down would be nice tid-bits for the more attentive map viewers.

My (ongoing) Novel set in Arabia in Antiquity

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

Really cool and promising, Shamension ! It won't be a surprise if I say I love this elaborate border, but the map looks very cool as well !

Thanks so much everyone .

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Totes ma'galotes!

If I may make on suggestion, I feel like it would be really cool to add some super small details of rocks or things falling into the fissure. Like, show some bits here and there that have cracked off the edge and are tumbling to the depths. Not much, mind you, as I don't think it would do to draw attention to such details, but I feel like a few tiny little specks spinning down would be nice tid-bits for the more attentive map viewers.
    Blerrgh, that's a terrific suggestion but I proceeded with the colours before I saw it! These are the little bits I need to step up my game on.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Really cool and promising, Shamension ! It won't be a surprise if I say I love this elaborate border, but the map looks very cool as well !
    Thanks you so much . It's actually a lovely surprise, haha! I stumbled upon your work on instagram before signing up here, your work inspired me to get back into mapping.

Next step, coloured pencil. I'm not particularly happy with my colour choices. I saw the deadline approaching and just wanted to get it done. Went a bit mad with the orange and yellow and I think the balance is off.

I had a little play with some typography and it didn't come together. I'm going to look for some new typefaces tomorrow morning and see what I can do. In retrospect I think I'd have been much better off hand-writing the location names etc. My handwriting isn't great but I think a hand drawn style still would have fit better with the traditional style. Ah well, this was a new process. Live and learn.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words .

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP9.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	891.0 KB 
ID:	124896

Remember, if there is anything you don't quite like about your colors, you can always edit them pretty easily in the digital version. And if you are a total noob to digital mapping (not sure what your background is), there are a lot of free programs that give you lots of control without requiring you to become an expert in that particular program. I myself use GIMP, which can be used at an extraordinarily high level, but can also be used rather easily for simple things like color alterations, saturation, etc. Just saying that coloration is something you can rather straightforwardly tweak with once you have a good digital copy of your work (which you've already got).

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

Remember, if there is anything you don't quite like about your colors, you can always edit them pretty easily in the digital version. And if you are a total noob to digital mapping (not sure what your background is), there are a lot of free programs that give you lots of control without requiring you to become an expert in that particular program. I myself use GIMP, which can be used at an extraordinarily high level, but can also be used rather easily for simple things like color alterations, saturation, etc. Just saying that coloration is something you can rather straightforwardly tweak with once you have a good digital copy of your work (which you've already got).
    I'm pretty competent with techology, since I started studying again I invested in an Adobe Suite subscription. Haven't used it in a while so still finding my flow but I studied graphic design 10 years ago. I found that there was too much white in the drawing to properly tweak the colours. I think the best way to describe it is that it looked like it had been edited in photoshop haha. My hope for this process was to tweak it in photoshop but have the end result look hand drawn.

I took it over to my Samsung tablet to block out some extra colour and fix a few bits and pieces. I'm pretty happy with the colours now, time to sort out the typography.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP10.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	895.9 KB 
ID:	124906

Alright, done and dusted... I think. There's a chance I'll start noticing a thousands problems with it and try to fix them before the 14th but the aim is not to do that haha.

Found a Celtic typeface that I think fits the mood of the piece and smashed in some generic fantasy-type names. Good to go .

### Winner ###

Name:	Final map - resized.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	917.5 KB 
ID:	124908
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-22-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Great job, it looks amazing. I do like how your colors came out!

I also quite like it! You pulled it all together nicely. There are some small things that could be cool to add/tweak in future variants of a map like this, but the setup you have here is super cool!

These suggestions are not particularly for this map, as I think you should indeed call this done, but some thoughts to keep in mind if you make another map similar to this in the future: 1) I still think some falling rocks would be cool in the fissure. 2) I also think the Bluestream Lakes should have a river outlet that leads to a waterfall dropping into the fissure. That's too big of a change to put in this one, but something to keep in mind when making future maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great job, it looks amazing. I do like how your colors came out!
    Thanks so much! It took a lot longer than I thought it would but so much fun. Great topic, thanks so much for setting it all up. I'm looking forward to the next round.

I also quite like it! You pulled it all together nicely. There are some small things that could be cool to add/tweak in future variants of a map like this, but the setup you have here is super cool!

These suggestions are not particularly for this map, as I think you should indeed call this done, but some thoughts to keep in mind if you make another map similar to this in the future: 1) I still think some falling rocks would be cool in the fissure. 2) I also think the Bluestream Lakes should have a river outlet that leads to a waterfall dropping into the fissure. That's too big of a change to put in this one, but something to keep in mind when making future maps.
    Thanks a lot, these are great tips.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast