Hello folks,

I’ve been away from the Guild to the point of not lurking anymore. It’s a first since I joined and I don’t like it. Who knew that having two little kids at home, a regular job and a mapmaking job at night (outside, in the everlasting heat of another too hot summer, with motherblasting tiger mosquitoes eating me raw like piranhas) would take up that much time ? … I kinda knew it but not to that point.

These last few weeks I’ve been chipping away at a city map way out of my comfort zone. From thinking it to planning it and drawing it, it all has been a real ordeal to me but I kept my eyes on the prize and here it is.

I present to you Swenville (Swenstown in the original setting) ! An A3 city map drawn for the original material of the French edition of RuneQuest (along with this map). I’m so proud of being a part of this project as my roleplaying self grew up with RuneQuest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swensville.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	124924
© Studio Deadcrows - 2020 - All rights reserved

The city is of Celt and Babylonian inspiration (RuneQuest is the best kind of weird) with a recent occupation of a Roman like force, hence the multiplicity of roofs. It’s a trading post centered on cattle who just got out of a tough time as the occupying force, the Lunar Empire, has been driven out by the fierce Sartarites (guess who I’m rooting for..) !

To the West is a huge plateau and the city stands at its eastern edge. The plain below becomes a desert but the map is in a Mediterrannean like area.

I hope I rendered the height well enough and the map is readable. I tried to add variations to the populated areas but it was not easy playing with shape and height. I could not resist adding a runic sword just because it looks so badass

Here are the illustrations that were given to me as basis.

Name:	9b5e854fd60e0eaf691cea90d560ce73.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	124927----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	798.2 KB 
ID:	124928

And here are the linework version and a flat colors one just because that's what I like to see when people post maps

Name:	lineart.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	124925----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color flat.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	124926

I hope you like it and I’ll try to come back more regularly even if my schedule is not improving (maps ! maps ! maps).

As always, your critics and comments are more than welcome.

Cheers !

PS : I’m not ready for another city map