Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Ashar Daerora

Default February 2021 Challenge: Ashar Daerora

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I participated in a challenge, 2020 was not a good year, it affected me personally and I kinda lost the will to draw until recently. I hope that no one went through the same during that horrendous year and that everyone is doing well.

I was actually planning on redoing some of my old maps as a way to get back on it and also to see how far I have progressed since I started and I also wanted to get back into the challenges. Perfect timing!

I made this map almost 2 years ago, when I started. I used wanderdraft to make it and it was the first map that I was really happy to have done back then. That was the map that made me think "hey I'm not that bad after all, maybe I should keep doing it". So this map has definitely some sort of sentimental value to me.

Anyways here is the original:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashar Daerora Colored portfolio.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	128208

And here is what I've done today:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ashar Daerora rework jpeg.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	128210

I'm definitely hyped with this challenge. Next stop mountains and rivers!

I dunno, that first version is pretty darn nice. It will be interesting to see what you'll do with a new version.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Nice border!

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Boy, the original is actually pretty spectacular. Can't wait to see the updated version. 2020 gave me a whole new outlook on life, so I don't blame you

Sorry to hear you've had a rough year, Cédric. I hope this year is much better for you.

Agree with the others that the original map was pretty decent, though I like what you have already with the new version. I really like the parchment & pale blue colouring in the new map.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I think it was an eye opener for many, may good tiding come your way.

I really like the complexity of the original, the redo it already promising with those textured coasts.

IR

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    I dunno, that first version is pretty darn nice. It will be interesting to see what you'll do with a new version.
    Thanks Greason! I'm also curious to see what I'll come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by TimetoDraw View Post
    Nice border!
    Thank you TimetoDraw!

Quote Originally Posted by mapmage View Post
    Boy, the original is actually pretty spectacular. Can't wait to see the updated version. 2020 gave me a whole new outlook on life, so I don't blame you
    Thank you mapmage! It definitely change my look on everything as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Sorry to hear you've had a rough year, Cédric. I hope this year is much better for you.

Agree with the others that the original map was pretty decent, though I like what you have already with the new version. I really like the parchment & pale blue colouring in the new map.
    Thank you ChickPea! Things are getting better so I'm hopeful for this year The first time I did this "style" was on my first lite challenge back in july 2019. I was experimenting and I really liked it and it is by far the look I enjoy the most doing. It felt appropriate in a couple of ways to do this map with that look.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I think it was an eye opener for many, may good tiding come your way.

I really like the complexity of the original, the redo it already promising with those textured coasts.

IR
    Thank you Adfor! It definitely was an eye opener. I was experimenting with the coast and I liked how it looked so I went for it

The latest WIP already looks great! I like your coastlines and the general shape of the whole thing. As the others have mentioned the border is very pretty as well. Looking forward to seeing more updates and the finished thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelian View Post
    The latest WIP already looks great! I like your coastlines and the general shape of the whole thing. As the others have mentioned the border is very pretty as well. Looking forward to seeing more updates and the finished thing!
    Thanks you Dhelian!

I finished the Mountains today and have the river sketched. I'm really happy how the mountains turned out beside how they start/end. I wanted to do that ridge thing but they feel off and I can't figure out why. I might try to redo them or simply erase them later on but for now I'll leave it be and move forward.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ashar Daerora mountains update.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	128258

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast