Thread: Virginia State Map

Map Virginia State Map

Hello everyone! This is my first post on here, wow I was referred to this fine forum by Rathaven (a standup guy and amazingly gifted cartographer).

I wanted to share my most recently completed project, Virginia, pencil and ink on cotton paper, 11"x14". My task was to pay special attention to the James River, but otherwise I had carte blanche to do whatever struck me. My personal goal was to establish the state's borders using only natural features, rather than any added lines. I feel I was able to do so comfortably, and the result looks great! But what do you all think?

Thanks so much in advance,

-Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Virginia Map 2021 to share small.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	4.87 MB 
ID:	128697  

Blog Entries

Hello Matt, welcome to the guild. We do like a map with the opening post and this one is very cool indeed. I really like it and the water effect at the bottom is especially nice as a border. The map shows great planning with the circles and the way the border interacts with the map.

I looked up your handle and saw some great warhammer painting going on too. Some lovely marines with great attention to detail on them too and looking at them the banner style on the left makes a lot of sense. I have a small Necron army but its not comparable in quality.

Are you planning to use a digital format or sticking to the hand drawn style ? People with such good attention to detail normally produce stunning works no matter what format they put their hand to.

Default Congrats on a great map of Virginia!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Hello everyone! This is my first post on here, wow I was referred to this fine forum by Rathaven (a standup guy and amazingly gifted cartographer).

I wanted to share my most recently completed project, Virginia, pencil and ink on cotton paper, 11"x14". My task was to pay special attention to the James River, but otherwise I had carte blanche to do whatever struck me. My personal goal was to establish the state's borders using only natural features, rather than any added lines. I feel I was able to do so comfortably, and the result looks great! But what do you all think?

Thanks so much in advance,

-Matt
    Great Job, Matt! As a current Virginian I think this is great - well done!

I really like this map! The shading is great and the rivers defined but not over stated and the tree placement is fantastic! Well done!

It's superb, great illustration work. I'm very fond of the special attention to the shading of light rays coming through the water, such a great touch.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work, welcome!

IR

This is really nice, the black ink with pencil shading works really well for a black and white map. I'll have to try that myself some time.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That looks amazing! I love the perspective and that fish is really neat. I have been to Virginia before (I was a bit too young to remember it though) and I definitely want to return now! and welcome to the guild!

That's a very pleasant style you have there, I especially enjoy the style of your mountains and trees. The little icons on the key locations are delightful. Congrats on your first map post!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.