Thread: The Kingdom of Dolonde

Map The Kingdom of Dolonde

Hi Everyone

This is my entry for the August mapping challenge. I'm quite pleased with the way it came out and many others seemed to agree as it ended up winning (thanks again to everyone who voted for me).

The map is done using all physical materials as outlined below
    - A4, 200gsm watercolour paper
    - Dip pen with black Windsor & newton calligraphy ink
    - Pebeo studio watercolour paints

As always prints and products based on this print can be found on my Redbubble store. Redbubble has just started doing desk mats as well and this is one of my designs that I've made available on that product.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheKingdomOfDolonde_lowres.jpeg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	131094
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

I like your style a lot.

I like your map, but i want to know how you scan him? Looks so great, my scan sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcolino View Post
    I like your map, but i want to know how you scan him? Looks so great, my scan sucks.
    The scanner I use is pretty much the cheapest scanner I could buy, it's just the built-in one on a really cheap HP printer. What really makes the difference is the post-processing. After I've scanned in the image at the highest detail the scanner will do (1200dpi) I open it up in gimp, run a noise reduction filter and usually reduce the brightness and increase the colour saturation. I have just switched from windows to Linux though and the built-in scanning application in the variant of Linux I'm using (pop os) does a much better job, for this image I just applied the noise reduction filter and that was it. The watercolour also scans much better than the coloured pencil maps that I used to do and I've needed to do less post-processing since swapping over.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Ah, i never thought about pos-processing, thanks for the tips. I only scan the map and is it. I hope i can learn and make it.