Thread: Zarhimia - Land of the Apocalypse

Map Zarhimia - Land of the Apocalypse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zarhimia.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	136741

Finally done, after... 9 months!

An island that was the epicenter of the apocalypse; where an ancient civilization attempted to reach for power beyond its control. Was it an error in the ritual? Or was it divine wrath? Nobody knows and nobody really wants to find out, for it plunged the world in chaos and opened a wound in the world, allowing in beasts that sought to end all life. Thousands of years passed since then, the wound had been closed, new civilizations flourished and fell. The land has been reclaimed almost entirely, save for the ridge mountains and the central peak. But isn't there something to fear still?

I envision this as an in-universe historical map, possibly out of some school textbook: the depicted land, more-or-less the size of Ireland, is divided into petty kingdoms with hunter-gatherer tribes still living between them. The stylistic of the map I started with doesn't exactly lend itself to the story that ended up solidifying, so it's disconnected from it by some centuries.

Done with: Photoshop, wacom tablet and a 4px round brush for the terrain; QGIS for graticules; Illustrator for text and borders; Photoshop again for putting it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Batat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zarhimia.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	136741

Finally done, after... 9 months!

An island that was the epicenter of the apocalypse; where an ancient civilization attempted to reach for power beyond its control. Was it an error in the ritual? Or was it divine wrath? Nobody knows and nobody really wants to find out, for it plunged the world in chaos and opened a wound in the world, allowing in beasts that sought to end all life. Thousands of years passed since then, the wound had been closed, new civilizations flourished and fell. The land has been reclaimed almost entirely, save for the ridge mountains and the central peak. But isn't there something to fear still?

I envision this as an in-universe historical map, possibly out of some school textbook: the depicted land, more-or-less the size of Ireland, is divided into petty kingdoms with hunter-gatherer tribes still living between them. The stylistic of the map I started with doesn't exactly lend itself to the story that ended up solidifying, so it's disconnected from it by some centuries.

Done with: Photoshop, wacom tablet and a 4px round brush for the terrain; QGIS for graticules; Illustrator for text and borders; Photoshop again for putting it all together.
    As I have said separately on Discord, this is simply a masterpiece. It has been a pleasure to watch it come to life over the past few months. I hope to one day have enough patience to try this kind of hand drawn shaded relief.

Glad to see this one finished! The rendering of the terrain is absolutely gorgeous.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Your mountains are gorgeous!

This is my favorite map on here this year.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Been awhile since I popped in and took a peek, But this one caught my eye.
    Well done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Amazing work ! so much details, and the whole looks so impressive ! Good job !

This is just extraordinary! Your work is impressive and I really love your style on those maps.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    This is my favorite map on here this year.
    Same same.

Can only echo the previous comments. An absolute labour of love, and it shows. Congrats on a fantastic map!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast