Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne View Post
    Give me map 3 too. Looking at the this map, I can form a kingdom that stretches from map 1 to 3. By nipping very top piece of land on map 6 (NeonKights), and pieces of land above the inlands seas of map 7 (Redrobes) and map 8 (Clercon) to form the southern boundary that includes the highlands in SE part of map 3. Eastern boundary would include the valley in between the two high lands of the E of map 3. The northern boundary can be defined later, though probably undefined as it wood become tundra.

I feel better is I work on a whole kingdom concept than a part of it, so the reason for requesting map 3 too. Alucard and myself will be designing this kingdom together.
    Sure Darkone. 3 is yours. Sounds like a good idea for you and Alucard to work together, mmmm I'm sensing undead in our future. Will their be snow and ice too, bearing in mind how far North you are?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Map

Here is a map of the proposed kingdom. Every north of the black line is the kingdom. The dotted line on the east side is a proposal, and will define it more accurate later. Like to see what happens in map 5 and map 4 first. The dotted line that runs in map 6 and map 7 is an alternative south border of the kingdom depending on what Neon and Redrobes have to say about it.

Alucard and myself have already decided to create a single extra map of the whole kingdom, which will also help us create the maps 1-3. Also be trying our best to keep the styles as similar as possible.

Red lines are just border ideas I had when I saw the map the first time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdom 1-3.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	500.5 KB 
ID:	2987  
    Last edited by DarkOne; 04-04-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Is it possible to get latitudes and longitudes for the maps. It will help with the scaling and distances between places of interest especially for the northern maps where distances between longitudes decreases rapidly.

I see 5 and 26 are high in the mountains and covered with ice and snow. Area 4 looks like it is hilly mountainous with large amount of snow. Northern bits of 2 and 3 would most likely be snow and ice in the mountain range which forms the boundary to the pack ice. Thus eastern boundary of kingdom once it hits the ice pack just heads directly north over the ice pack. It is not a fixed border either on the ice pack.

Three questions.

First. What is the projection of these maps? Would it be possible to get this in an equal-area cylindrical projection(Gall-Peters would do fine)? Actually, anything equal-area would be fine.

Second. Can we get maps in the same resolution and area coverage as the previous ones but without the ownership grid and numbers? Especially heightfields, but I'd really appreciate the river map in 780x636 covering the same extents as map1bump and map1.

Third. Would it be possible to create higher resolution images of the individual areas? I'd like mine in 4096x4096 in Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area projection. I can think of worse things than trying to emulate HandsomeRob's work. For instance, failing...

My major priority would have to be the second question. There's little enough HF to work with even without the big number in the middle. Also the rivers are pretty critical. Higher resolution and specific projections would be a real sweet extra, but hey!

EDIT: Oh yeah, 16-bit HFs. Definitely 16-bit HFs, please
    Last edited by su_liam; 04-04-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Torq.. thanks, evidently I've got some catching up to do ... to be honest, I kinda skipped ahead to find a spot before it was taken and I haven't completely read the entire thread.... apparently ... there are some rules/stipulations and I will go back and do my homework... been kinda busy lately, but this is at the top of my list...

Airith, as soon as I get my bearings I'll get back to you on that... probably in this thread unless PMs are easier...

Um... admins, i'm not all that familiar with vBulletin functions, but several other boards that I've admin'd had a function to allow a forum chatroom so that members that were online could chat live while posting and reading threads.... I think a chatroom would be most beneficial in respect to this project if it were at all possible to do so... just thought I'd throw that suggestion out there...

ok... off to see what in the nine hells is going on...

I added a GoogleEarth view of Region 1 to the [Region 1] thread. It is the best I can do with current resolution map. I can't add any other level map else GoogleEarth crashes in a double crash on Linux.

Here is a GoogleEarth view of the area of the proposed kingdom. The northern parts close to the ice pack will have very little urban centres due to the hardship of the cold region.

Terrainmonkey will most likely have a kingdom to occupy the remainder of the northern territory north of the huge mountain range and including the mountain range.

There might be a small kingdom in between the huge mountain range and eastern mountains of the North Western Kingdom in the large plateau valley surrounded by the mountain ranges in map 4. The area could be part of the North Western Kingdom. Creeping slightly into area 5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdom-ge2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	2992  
    Last edited by DarkOne; 04-04-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    My major priority would have to be the second question. There's little enough HF to work with even without the big number in the middle. Also the rivers are pretty critical. Higher resolution and specific projections would be a real sweet extra, but hey!

EDIT: Oh yeah, 16-bit HFs. Definitely 16-bit HFs, please
    Yeah I am feeling just a touch frustrated with this too. Monks has very kindly uploaded a 64Mb file but I have not decoded it yet - I don't know if its suitable or not yet as it sounds different to the one that Ravs has been trying to get to me. As soon as I have HF data I will make it available. I can do HF2 or a pair of greyscale bitmaps but probably more too if I go and get Wilbur. We should not have started mapping until the HF and projection were sorted out which is going to be a nightmare to fix up later. Rivers & general terrain are never going to line up accurately given that the starting point was so inaccurate to start with. I won't start any mapping until I have it and if it means that it generates a different borders and rivers to my neighbors then that will just be unfortunate.

I have to agree with Redrobes. Height maps are very important before mapping can start, especially when it comes to borders. I just giving rough borders for the North Western Kingdom, doing my best to see where a river may go or hill/mountain ridges are from the world maps we have.

Also if no one wants area 4 I can take it, as the distances per map gets very short at the northen boundaries. Gives me more terrain to work with even though little urban centres will be in the northen half of the top row of maps.

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Yeah I am feeling just a touch frustrated with this too. Monks has very kindly uploaded a 64Mb file but I have not decoded it yet - I don't know if its suitable or not yet as it sounds different to the one that Ravs has been trying to get to me. As soon as I have HF data I will make it available. I can do HF2 or a pair of greyscale bitmaps but probably more too if I go and get Wilbur. We should not have started mapping until the HF and projection were sorted out which is going to be a nightmare to fix up later. Rivers & general terrain are never going to line up accurately given that the starting point was so inaccurate to start with. I won't start any mapping until I have it and if it means that it generates a different borders and rivers to my neighbors then that will just be unfortunate.
    Guess I'll hold off until we get some bugs worked out .... ya'll tell me when I can start mapping ... and I'll start mapping

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast