Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Antique Style World Map

Wip [WIP] Antique Style World Map

Okay first of all, I found this map quite a while ago and was absolutely blown away by all the extra information that's contained on it, beyond just a simple world map.

So I've blatantly borrowed the layout of that map, and I'm using it to create a map of my own world, which will eventually be similarly filled with charts of my own moon, solar system, descriptions of the tides, etc, etc.

Updates will be slow going, as I'm pretty much only working on this map while I'm at work but I have every intention of seeing this thing through to the bitter end. Currently, the latitude and longitude lines are only guidelines and will eventually be redrawn more appropriately to the style of the map.

I'm working in photoshop, and I've also used Hugin to convert my original map into a stereographic projection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique world map stereographic.jpg 
Views:	8285 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	19678

Edit:
    I've decided to also add a thumbnail of the current state of completion, so any newcomer to this thread doesn't have to wander through 10+ pages to find the most complete WIP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	state of the wip.jpg 
Views:	2202 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	31837
    Last edited by moutarde; 12-28-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Oh yeah, and the copyright for the maps on davidrumsey.com allows them to be reused and adapted, as long as it's not for commerical purposes

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good luck my friend; you've just taken a bite of the most difficult type of map to make. Difficult because of the vast amount of text...naming all of that stuff will take quite some time. The style is also pretty difficult as well but you seem off to a good start. So keep on chuggin along
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Really looking forward to watching this one progress.

And I've never seen that map site before, what an amazing place.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks for the wishes Ascension, I do have a plan in place for naming, but it's still going to be a long time before I get any names on the map... I'm actually pretty excited about mapping the surface of a fictional moon. And actually figuring out what all the data on that map means so I can accurately reproduce it in reference to my world.

Ramah, hopefully I don't let you down And yeah, davidrumsey.com is an amazing website, lots of fantastic stuff on there!

Praise

this looks like an amazing approach to world building...

would you be able to post a blank template for folks to use for their own world mapping?

thanks for your work

phil

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting...looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

wow.. quite a challenging project but it looks like fun

Wip

Figured I'd throw an update out, since I'm really pleased with how the continental outline turned out. I'm still only about 90% happy with the country borders - I'd like them to be a little less evenly spaced over the dotted borders, but they're still good enough for pancakes I guess.

@phillipstephen - I've already merged a bunch of layers in an attempt to my file size at a somewhat manageable level, but I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard to borrow my first image and hit it with a magic wand a few time to get a serviceable template.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique world map stereographic.jpg 
Views:	1054 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	19714  

That's coming along nicely...can't wait to see wjere this goes.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast