Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Not so Random Coastlines in GIMP - alternative method

Tutorial [Award Winner] Making Not so Random Coastlines in GIMP - alternative method

I just posted this tutorial on making coastlines based on pre-defined shapes.

Two things I don't like are the slight blurriness in the coastline, and the inability to play with the effective water-level (like you can do with the threshold method).

SO to this end, I came up with a variation on the threshold level as an alternative to my other not-so random coastline tutorial, this time with clever use of multiplying levels, rather than differencing levels.

Here is the "Not So Random Coastline Tutorial - alternative method"

NOTE: There is a description by Juggernaut1981 on creating multiple islands an still maintaining detail that gets inserted after step 7. Jump over there for the details!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m3.jpg 
Views:	7506 
Size:	920.5 KB 
ID:	24167  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-27-2010 at 01:32 PM.

You do realize that if you keep this up, I'm going to be in rep debt to you don't you?

Good stuff! I have to spread some rep around before hitting you again, but I will. Perhaps someone else can rep you for me?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

One more addition...

If you pick the "Turbulent" option in the cloud noise, this will have the effect of chopping up the shape much more. I used that to create an Atoll (attached) that shows the original white shape (outlined in yellow) and the resultant random coastline.

-Rob A>

Name:	atoll.jpg 
Views:	1179 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	884  

Rob this is brilliant! The ability to have the coastlines made for you while you do the general shapes is invaluable. It's a like having a very controlled fractallisation command.

Rep? You can have my eye teeth!

Ravs

Gee Thanks! I just hope people find the techniques useful. I'd like to see what others end up doing with it!

-Rob A>

(p.s. what...no blush smiley?)

Wow--amazing. And although written for GIMP, I can so yoink this for Phosotshop as well. Great great great. Repped!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I tried this tutorial using Paintshop Pro last night and it worked like a charm. I'm going to try it again, but using different fills apart from noise to see if anything useful turns up. Thanks for the tut, Rob - very handy indeed.

Ravs

Good to see it can be applied in other software. (I used PSP back at version 4, but that was a while ago )

One other bit is to play with the curves dialog before blending the images. That will let you do things like the attached - and island ringed by a reef. (FYI - I just started with a blurry blob but used the curves adjustment to make the "ring" appear. I can grab the curves dialog if anyone wants, to show what I mean...)

-Rob A>

Name:	levels_sample.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	976  

This is just rockin'!!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    (FYI - I just started with a blurry blob but used the curves adjustment to make the "ring" appear. I can grab the curves dialog if anyone wants, to show what I mean...)
    Would you mind? That would be really helpful.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast